Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

my solar cup boileth over

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
on an overcast day I got the water up to 137F. Hopefully with a sunny day, with some insulation around the cup, I can enjoy a solar cup of tea. Powered by one Oventrop evac tube.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• michael_34
    michael_34 Member Posts: 304
    It looks as if...

your having to much fun! I'm jealous!
    Michael
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

How long did it take to get that warm?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    One Creative

Dude Hot Rod......I'm just sitting here picturing the transformation from imagination. The copper smith strikes again! A tea bag hanging out would put it farther over the top.

Gordy
  • hot_rod
    warm up time??

I put the cup on around 10:30, ran tho the dentist for 2 hours and it was that hot by 1:30.

Supposed to be sunny and 50- 60's here tomorrow, I'll keep an eye on it all morning.

I tried it Sunday with a small 20" long demo evac tube. I hit around 100F with the small tube.

Heat loss got me today as it was fairly windy, mid 50's. I'll look for a piece of HTArmaflex to cover it, and a lid!

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    O.K. Hot Rod

No one can hold a candle to you when it comes to fabricating so many neat gadgets. I would love to spend a day with you in your shop. Now, I know you have all the Caleffi/Resol controls and data loggers at your disposal. How about hooking up 30 tubes to an 80 gallon tank, one that actually has a real world (4 to 5 occupants) draw, so by 11 PM most of the hot water is used up and the solar tank is down to say, 70 to 60 degrees. Let's see what the tank can get back up to on a good sunny day at a location specified in the test, lets see what the tank with no draw during the day will get up to, and do one with flat plates on an 80 as well. I am not trying to be a wise guy, but I see all these guys putting in tube systems and getting all excited about getting their tanks up to 140 by 1 PM etc. . but what did those tanks start out at?
  • hot_rod
    the stars may lie, but

the panels never do. Putting them under actual working condition tells all.

That's what I like about that www.solarishot.com website. It shows the tubes and flat panels side by side, under actual working conditions.

hr

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Mark Hunt_6
    Mark Hunt_6 Member Posts: 147
    Cool info

Don't you work for Caleffi?
  • Rick_91
    Rick_91 Member Posts: 25
    I had something like that in college

It was made out of ABS, thought you weren't supposed to smoke out of copper, ahh, err, never mind...
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    solarishot.com

Awesome site HR! I've never seen it before but it appears to be giving a real time side by side comparison. It's very enlightning. Thanks.
  • comical note

Kinda brings a mental pic to mind like the yard of beer mugs(G). Drinking a yard+ of solar when lifting mug and tube to tilt for a swig. Hope that's lead-free solder so's you avoid plumbism!
  • hot_rod
    from 67F to boil

in 28 minutes, mid afternoon 3:15. 65 F outdoor temperature, mostly sunny, some clouds, as seen in the back ground. About 5 degrees per minute temperature rise, 16 oz of water.

I missed the first warm up and boiled about 1" of water from the cup. The second try was late in the day.

I predict a clear sunny day about 20 minutes to boil.

Now to try a flat panel collector and compare.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

I was thinking, dangerous I know, but if the flat plate in flat plat heat exchangers had a rougher surface. Some thing like a hammered finish would the heat better? you know more surface area to absorb heat and more angles for the radiation to bounce of from instead of simple angles? P.s. if anyone uses this idea and it works be so kind as to at least say thanks.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • hot_rod
    Yes

there are some absorber plates that are ridged, like a "Ruffles" potato chip. That combined with some of the new high tech selective surfaces do add a few efficiency % points.

But like any improvement, does the additional cost to produce them add enough efficiency to offset it?

Same question with double layer (storm window) glass on flat panel. Does the added r value offset the cost and lack of performance in warm conditions?

I do like the look of the purple color surface.

Here is a pic of the absorber inside an Oventrop tube. Ruffled and colored.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Paul B_5
    Paul B_5 Member Posts: 60

And here's another pic of my 10 year old thermomax as you can see somewhat purplely blue and the tubes are rippley as well. Paul
This discussion has been closed.