Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OT - Large Nat. Gas Pipe Question

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
adhere to utility & bldg. dept. regulations . purge lines w/ nitrogen prior to welding.

Comments

• Brian R
    Brian R Member Posts: 18
    OT - Large Nat. Gas Pipe Question

Do any of the pro pipe fitters here know if a saddle clamp take-off is available (that meets code) for natural gas? We have a 4" steel service pipe (at service pressure), that we need to have a 2.5" branch taken from it. In my area we have only one contractor who can hot tap a weld on fitting, and he's booked for a couple of months. He says code doesn't allow a clamp-on saddle fitting, but I don't know if he's just saying that to continue adding to his sizable backlog. I figure somebody here must know this.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Codes

I believe codes can vary region by region. I'd call your local gas supplier and see what they allow. If it's a main line chances are it belongs to them amd they're going to dictate the allowable procedure.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Weld when off

Saddle clamps not OK, if you can shut the system off and purge it you can hole saw into the 4 inch and weld on a take off over the hole. The purge part is important since you don't want a poof.
  • Brian;

I would agree that a saddle is a bad idea. Worth checking on, but I doubt your gas supplier will allow it. When you call them ask for a list of qualified conractors to make the tap. Call the local union hall and ask for their list of contractors, or go to their website and see if they have a list. Welding on a live gas line is a special skill, but by no means a rare one. Maybe your guy will do it on over time? might cost a little more, but if it needs done....
  • Anyone welding on gas lines

must be nationally certified, carry a lot of insurance, have the welds xrayed and they are not cheap to hire.

Many times the local utility can assist you with this type project. Get in touch with the engineering division of the local utility.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    wow Tim!

our code specifies "qualified' but then makes no reference to what that really means. Have a look at CSA B 149.1 and 149.3. (is this your method of following your doctors instructions???? take it easy will you)
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Glen

It must be welded. You could use a weld-o-let or a thread-o-let.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277

Glen
    Look at 4.6.2,6.9.3, and 6.9.4 Up here in the great white north it is regulated and specified as to who can touch a service line. Your gas ticket only allows you to work from the reg into the building.

The OP said it was a service pipe.
  • Brian R
    Brian R Member Posts: 18
    Gentlemen, Thanks for the input

Just to clarify, this 4" pipe is on our side of the meter. I shouldn't have used "service" in my description. I've found another contractor 150 miles away that can hot weld a fitting on for us, and he's only a 2 week wait. Just a comment on contacting the utility for help. In today's day and age our utility is now owned by some Spanish conglomerate, who effectively gutted the locals who normally provided us with "Customer Service". I spent almost 2 hrs on the phone yesterday, trying to reach someone in engineering. I was finally connected with a guy who was 3 states away, and had no idea what's going on in my locale. Sad state of affairs. But I do thank everyone here for the assistance. I admit, to being an addicted HeatingHelp junkie. Just so much available knowledge here to pass up !!
This discussion has been closed.