Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney Cap or Not

Dale
Dale Member Posts: 1,317
Don't use a screen, if the temp at the outlet gets too low the flue products that are high in water content can freeze it shut.

Comments

• David_54
    David_54 Member Posts: 16
    Chimney Cap or Not

I have a tall, two flue masonry chimney on my house in SE Michigan. The flue/chimney for the fireplace is adjacent to the flue/chimney for the HWH and steam boiler. Both chimneys are topped with clay ceramic chimney pots. The fireplace pot is covered with a metal pot-topper. The HWH/boiler chimney is in need of a cover new cover, as a result of some recent tuckpointing and masonry repair. Would anyone care to recommend using a screen vs a pot-topper on the boiler stack? Pros and cons?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    What ever

You use make sure it keeps precipitation out, and vermits.

Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Never had a problem

With the standard mesh that comes with a SS chimney cap. About 1" to 1 1/4" diamond pattern.

I do get bees in the flue sometimes. Boy they hate the first fire of the season.

Gordy
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,071
    more to it

If you know you need some repairs you probably should get a Level II inspection first. If the flue is unsuitable for the class of service then you need more than just a cap. Most probably, you will be needing a listed chimney liner, which comes with its own cap. You want a cap that can keep animals out but is not too restrictive.
This discussion has been closed.