Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Varivalve on cool down?

I have a one pipe steam convector system in my home. I'm using several straight angle Varivalves due to tight clearances with the convectors and the need to balance the house system. They vent really well, but when system "cools down", radiators equipped with the Varivalves pop open and a huge rush of air can be heard for about 5 seconds. It sounds similar to a pop off valve on an air compressor. I am assuming this is vacuum being produced as the mains cool down when steam is not being produced. These suckers are loud enough to have woken me up when they go off in another room. Are they typically this loud? I'm running between .5 to 1.5 psi on the Pressuretrol.

Thanks, (the steam newbie)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jack_49
    Jack_49 Member Posts: 3

I had the same problem, this is what I did to solve it. I installed a vacuum relief valve right after the main vent. I picked it up at home depot. it is 1/2 inch threaded. It is brass with a black plastic cap. You can find them in the section that sells baseboard heating. It has been in my system for 4 years now with no problems and is rated at I believe 250 degrees so you shouldn't have a problem unless you run at extremely high pressures. Hope this helps.
    -Jack
  • Steve Nichols
    Steve Nichols Member Posts: 124
    thanks

Thanks Jack. I think I know what kind of valve you're talking about. I appreciate the help.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.