Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

glycol in Munchin boiler and indirect water heater

Ted G
Ted G Member Posts: 63
Also remember when you use glycol you decrease the output btu's and increase the head against the circulators.

Comments

• Evie W.
    Evie W. Member Posts: 4
    glycol in Munchin boiler and indirect water heater?

Is there code in NY state (Ithaca) that says anything about double-wall isolating glycol-containing pipes inside a boiler or hot water heater? I have just put in a Munchkin 140 (elite) and a Weil McL. 140 gal indirect fired hot w. heater. The boiler board was already there, with most of the piping. This system swapped out a broken Glo-Core boiler and water heater. The contractors used a "special" glycol that is supposed to be non-corrosive to aluminum and copper (Munchkin uses an aluminum heat exchanger). So, my question has to do with keeping the glycol-infused system away from the heat exchangers as well as the potable side.
  • Ted G
    Ted G Member Posts: 63
    Munchkin

The Munchkin uses a stainless steel heat exchanger. Do not use an aluminum glycol. Use a propylene glycol only safe for stainless. Please refer to page 20 in the installation manual.
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Glycol?

Is there a reason you need glycol? Are there exposed pipes to the outside like in a soffit? Previous freezing problem? If by all means you need glycol, I would use a flat plate heat exchanger and separate the boiler and indirect from the heating load. That way you wouldn't have to worry about if there is a code requiring a double wall heat exchanger on your indirect tank. Running glycol though your Munchie can open a can of worms if you don't keep up on maintenance of the glycol, not to mention decreased BTU output.
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Glycol?

Is there a reason you need glycol? Are there exposed pipes to the outside like in a soffit? Previous freezing problem? If by all means you need glycol, I would use a flat plate heat exchanger and separate the boiler and indirect from the heating load. That way you wouldn't have to worry about if there is a code requiring a double wall heat exchanger on your indirect tank. Running glycol though your Munchie can open a can of worms if you don't keep up on maintenance of the glycol, not to mention decreased BTU output.
  • Evie W.

Yes, we did use propylene glycol. I couldn't open the link you kindly provided...But I've got the manual here, so I'll read it. We have one room which tends to get cold, but I'd rather just put an electric heater in there than put glycol in the whole system. It sounds like I got a bum steer from the contractor. I did ALL my homework on the other aspects of this purchase. Didn't read up on glycol. If the boiler is 96% efficient, why the heck would I reduce that efficiency by as much as 10-15%? I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now....
  • Evie W.

Here's what I wrote to someone else:
    Yes, we did use propylene glycol. I couldn't open the link you kindly provided...But I've got the manual here, so I'll read it. We have one room which tends to get cold, but I'd rather just put an electric heater in there than put glycol in the whole system. It sounds like I got a bum steer from the contractor. I did ALL my homework on the other aspects of this purchase. Didn't read up on glycol. If the boiler is 96% efficient, why the heck would I reduce that efficiency by as much as 10-15%? I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now....
    But I'm wondering about what you meant about keeping up on maintenance of the glycol - you mean test dilution concentrations every 6 months? Or what. What can it do to the Munchkin or the indirect?
This discussion has been closed.