Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need a heating system recommendation please

PB781
PB781 Member Posts: 1
I'm gutting my house and taking out the oil tanks and switching to gas. I want to put in a new gas heating and hot water system but don't know where to start. Can anyone make a recommendation on a system based on the following info.

North East Massachusetts
3000sf home, 2 floors
4BR, 3Bath
Want baseboard heat in rooms, radiant under tile in bathrooms.
We are a family of 5 and I'd like to be able to have 2 people taking showers and someone doing dishes at the same time without running out of hot water. We're planning on being in the house for a long time.

What brands/models should I be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Local support

There are lots of good brands out there. If I were in your shoes I'd meet with a few local contractors. (Check out the "find a pro" section of this website.) Check referances and see who you get a good feel for. See what they recommend so you know you have local support. Make sure they do an acurate heat loss of your home to properly size the equipment. What I have ready access to in Iowa maybe very different from what your local guys have available there. I would insist on outdoor reset for the controls of your boiler. This will increase efficiency, increase your comfort level, and save operating dollars all at once. Check out an indirect water heater for energy efficient water heating right off the same boiler.

When you get some recommendations, bring them back here for evaluation and advice if you so choose.

Just a note, while doing your remodel are you going to "tighten up" your house? Better windows and doors, more insulation, etc. The investment you make doing this will payback for the life of your home. You'll need smaller heating and cooling equipment up front. Not only will it cost less upfront but it will cost less to operate for years to come.

Don't forget proper maintenance afterwards. Schedule a regular check-up for your boiler to keep it operating at it's peak efficiency. Don't wait till it's broken. I don't think anybody waits till their car won't start to have the oil changed. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way as well as gives you some assurance of your equipments operating condition.

One last point that's often overlooked, price should not be the only deciding factor. The laws of economics will not allow you to get the best system for the cheapest price. If you want quality, you'll have to pay for it. If you want cheap, that's what you'll get! ;)

Good Luck, Rich L
This discussion has been closed.