Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rust on c.i. fittings

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
SCHMEAR with cutting oil. but not INSIDE

Comments

• Frank_62
    Frank_62 Member Posts: 16
    rust on c.i. fittings

we have a lot of new c.i. fittings that have accumulated rust on the surface from being in the shop truck etc. does anyone have any suggestions for something that we could use preferably something we can put in a sink and emerse them that would remove the rust. thanks
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    ftgs

WD-40 along with a scotch brite pad to scub off the rust usally works, not so sure about soaking them in any kind of solution, might be worried about the residule getting into the boiler water/system
  • chris_95
    chris_95 Member Posts: 47
    rust

always used a little dark cutting oil on a rag to wipe the outside of the fittings also on the lentghs that sat in the roof rack or shop too long brings them back up to clean!!!
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    rust

I remember when I first started out in the trade, my old boss used to make me clean the lengths of pipe (that laid on the garage floor) off w/cutting oil,
  • BAB
    BAB Member Posts: 118
    stopping rust

You can stop the acidic flash rusting activity by immersing in a solution of baking soda in water. A stronger basic (alkaline) solution can be made of white powdered garden lime and water. The lime solution, if mixed strong enough, after drying will leave a very light white residure that will protect your metals from future rusting. Oil is nice but messy and may end up in boiler return waters. The alkaline residue is a none issue. BAB
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399

boiled linseed oil, wiped lightly, after assembly, will stop rusting too, just be careful with the oily rags, they'll heat and spontaneously combust if not disposed of properly.
  • carter_3
    carter_3 Member Posts: 23
    just have to ask ....

is this a new trick or an old time trick that most have forgotten?thats an awful lot of rusty fittings asking about the baking soda NOT THE LINSEED OIL"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    fittings

Might be feasable for say a box car load of fittings. for just a few ???? who could possibly be bothered.
  • BAB
    BAB Member Posts: 118
    Time, Time

Young has a point. The only way to remove oxidation, corrosion, (rust) is chemically, ... and it is a lot of trouble. You can acid etch or pickle the rusty fittings in dilute HCl, hydrochloric acid, (Muratic Acid), or dilute sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and then rinse well with water. But the whole process is not safe, time consuming & impractical. A half van of fittings is not worth the trouble.
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    rusty fittings

Personally I have used a bead/sand blast cabinet to clean up rusty fittings-no chemicals and they look like new.

Mike

This discussion has been closed.