Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensing furnace gurgling sound

DF
DF Member Posts: 7
I am trying to troubleshoot an annoying noise problem. My client has a 5 ton condensing furnace in their home - 100,000 btu/hour gas input. American Standard - horizontal unit. It is located in an attic space. Condensate from the downstream cooling coil is piped to the tailpiece of a lavatory in a bathroom below the attic. When the furnace is in the heating mode, a loud gurgling noise eminates from the bathroom sink drain. The noise is definitely being transmitted from the furnace, through the condensate pipe. It is really loud!!!! Is there something wron with the furnace??? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Add a vent

Add a vent down stream from the condensate trap . Just cut in a tee and a raised open tail piece. It should be there any way.. Sounds like the trap is dry and its sucking up air , hope it is not sucking up sewer gas .It really is a no no , It should be drained to the out side .Since the cooling coils drain is on the negitive side of the blower , so is the condensate drain . The p trap is needed to drain away the condensate by capulary action .

Also watch the condensate from the furnace.. Its acitic , it will rot out cast iron drains and alike. It should go through a neutralizer first . Lime stone or marble chips are a neutralizer...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    Gurgling Noise

Sounds like someone might have left the trap off the condesate drain that should be mounted on the furnace. I've seen these left off a few times because somebody dosen't want to protect them from freezing in attic installs.
  • Joe_70
    Joe_70 Member Posts: 12
    gurgling

don't run the condesate to the outside withou protecting it from freezing
This discussion has been closed.