Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single Pipe Radiator Leak

Kool Rod
Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
Hi Liz -

Your post has us a bit confused. You say you have a "100 year`old single pipe steam system". By definition - a "one pipe steam system" has only one pipe going to each radiator, though from your description we gather there are two pipes going to the radiator hence the confusion as to what type of steam system you actually have. Also it's rather unusual for radiators to have gauges.

Knowing the type of system is important otherwise we might give you the wrong advice. For example: With a 1 pipe system, a radiator needs to be pitched (sloped) but a two pipe system, a radiator can be level.

Perhaps if you could post a picture of your radiator we can determine what type of system your have and consider a fix for your problem. Also it might be helpful if you could give us a pressure reading from the gauge on your boiler when it's operating and a picture of the boiler which shows the piping attached to it. Your system may be operating at a higher pressure than necessary which could contribute to the leaking.

- Rod

Comments

• liz_3
    liz_3 Member Posts: 1
    help - leaking radiator!

i have a 100 year old single pipe steam system. recently one of the radiators in the upstairs bedroom started leaking - had a decorative metal cover on it, so i think it has gone un-noticed for quite some time. most of the moisture was under the pressure gage, which i discovered was loose. tightened that, turned up the thermostat...now it's leaking out the other end, the side where the return is! should i start by fixing the pitch back to the return? it looks perfectly level now. how about the likelihood theres a worn out gasket in there? never taken one apart so i don't know whats in there or what to expect. any and all advice welcome!
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Leak in radiator at gauge? Pitch back towards return? Sorry, I may be reading this wrong. Is the leak on a radiator with one pipe? Leak is opposite of connection / valve at the plug? could you post a picture? On a one-pipe system, the supply is the return.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.