Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

antique steam radiators/ dismantling

Phil_17
Phil_17 Member Posts: 178
If the rods were only near the top, then they're most likely held together with threaded nipples (each nipple has left hand on one end and right hand on the other). Push nipples have rods both top and bottom. Threaded a lot more durable than push nipples, but I've never heard of anyone successfully getting them to come apart :-(

I think you need a special tool to turn the nipples from inside the radiator (perhaps a spud wrench would work), but those threads have been happy in their current state for a long time...

-Phil

Comments

• b. johnson
    b. johnson Member Posts: 1
    antique steam radiators

Our church has some large radiators in the basement that are fairly ornate. They have 2 long bolts holding the top together and are connected by the main supply tube on the bottom. I'm looking for some info on how to dismantle them without busting them up with a sledge. Top 2 bolts came out easily, but they are still firm at the bottom. Is this a threaded union or are they held together by a gasket, compression....? Would like to salvage for oddball artsy fartsy decorative use or reconditioning. these units have 20-26 rings so are to heavy to move otherwise. I'd appreciate some help.
  • Generally,

the bottoms are usually a press fit and I've had the best luck taking them apart by driving wooden wedges between them. I put a wedge on either side as close as I can to the fitting and alternately drive one then the other. I try to use as little force as possible to get the job done. When trying to reassemble them to be leak free I give each surface a coating of a product known as "Indian Head" (brand name) gasket seal. It's a kind of shellac made for sealing such fittings and is a brown syrupy substance. Good luck!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Threaded Rod Tells Me .....

.... That they a put together with push nipples. Use wedges around the bottom to seperate the sections after you cut the threaded rods..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    There is a company in England I talked to about 2 mos ago

they do dismantle, clean and resize of 100 yr old rads all the time. I was amazed when I talked to them that they actually have it down to a science ie long cheater bar, heat and good wrench. I tried a large impact gun and socket on a plug end about 3 mos ago to see if it would work, the impact wrench actually broke of the end of the cast plug and did not budge the thread. Amazing!!! Tim
  • I must admit,,,

I've never run into threaded nipples but I have to agree on the lack of rods on the bottom as an indicator. Yowzers, those sound like a bear to put together, never mind take them apart!
  • Big Ed_4
    I bet there is another set of rods near the bottom.

There would no need for rods on a threaded nipple radiator. The rods are uses to pull push nipples together. Just my guess ?????

• We need,,,

a picture! ;)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Maybe even a name off the casting too.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Big Ed_4
    Just so happen

Seen a purty ornate steam only radiator today.I always need to take a look. The design Looked like ivy running along the sides. It was wide and tall. There was a single top rod with push nipple bottom connections. There was no space between the sections or signs of threaded nipple. Interlocking notched cast near the top.

I found it odd , I guess other means where used to press the sections.

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Dan H is

in the far west and we still polish RidGid tools.

Mine ar all the silver color now.
  • That's probably

an American Rococo. Some of these only had a rod at the top. The bottom connections were made with threaded nipples.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Big Ed_4
    But

I seen no sign of a nipple between the sections. The casting was flush to one another. I am assuming with nipples there would be a gap and some of the nipple showing. Am I right.. I have to admit II don't remember or have not noticed , threaded nipple radiators . Also , The top interlocking notches would also hinder a tight threaded connection..,

Ah ....Just thinking does not matter I left that beast behind...

• M grallert
    M grallert Member Posts: 19

some times there is a rod in the water passage at the bottom of the rad and a tee on eather end for the rod to pass through, than nuts if the pluggs or bushing are removed you will be able to see the type connection.
  • Phil_17
    Phil_17 Member Posts: 178
    No need for a gap...

The nipples are threaded left-hand on one end and right-hand on the other, they are turned from the inside with a long tool/wrench, and pull the cast sections tight together. I don't know whether they are tapered (what a bear that would be), but expect that most of the sealing comes from getting the sections tight together. Threaded nipples need to have much thicker walls as opposed to pressed, and thus seem to be a lot more durable.

I have a dozen or so American radiators in my house (Peeless, Roccoco, and National), and I honestly expect them to outlive me.

-Phil

This discussion has been closed.