Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Make no Mistake

klaus
klaus Member Posts: 183
You're right Brad, it's a 60" pipe. Judging by the size of the cooling towers it was feeding I'm sure 3000gpm would be way low! :)

We already checked with the local orange box store for replacement pipe, but just like you said, It's no longer stocked there. I think I'll check the big blue box store before placing a special order! Do you suppose they would carry the 60" butterfly valve on the far end? Or would I need to go straight to Taco for that one? ;)

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    This is a BIG one

This is a little ;) pipe replacement project we're doing. It's a supply pipe for a cooling tower at an electric generating plant. It supposedly flows around 3000 GPM.
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Off a decimal point or two?

That looks like 54 inch pipe or even 60 inch.

30,000 GPM would not surprise me for the former and it could even handle 50,000 GPM with a 7 FPS velocity limit. If it is a 60 inch pipe, it could handle up to 60,000 GPM and stay below 7 FPS.

I think Taco has a 0000000 circulator and flange set for an exact fit.

They used to stock that in 20 foot sticks at HD but too many customers died looking for the short ones.

:)
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 114
    What happened?

Looks like that elbow took a shot from something.
  • klaus
    Broken elbow

Hi Jim, The big ouch on the elbow came from the gentle landing of the delicate little pipe!

This pipe's orientation was originally vertical, the 60" butterfly valve on the far end (bottom) was closed. It sat about a foot down into a metal lined and sealed concrete receiver. The weight of the pipe held it in place. The other end of the pipe, the flange after the 90 was bolted to some sort of slip type fitting that adapted to a fiberglass pipe. (Ginormous compression fitting?)

What happened, according to the maintenance guys anyway, the butterfly valve was closed, the pump was inadvertenly started, (no small pump as you can imagine!) and it lifted the pipe right out of the hole in the ground! Landed with a bang I'm sure!

Our job, build en exact replacement, don't reuse any of the old parts, and hurry.

You got a spare 60" butterfly valve in your truck? ;)
  • The nice thing......

About big pipe..... they don't expect you to put it on your shoulder and carry it. :)
  • klaus

This one piece filled a semi trailer!
This discussion has been closed.