Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vacuum system testing

Brad, If the Steam boiler was drained of water and the relief opening capped off and other opening could the entire system be pressurized to 30 lbs air? Or must the entire system be checked in stages. Will try to secure pictures

Comments

• george_46
    george_46 Member Posts: 2
    vacuum system testing

On a rather large and old vaccuum steam heating system which has not been properly serviced,(except for a new oil boiler and burner) and has not been subjected to a hodge podge of ideas or try this, how would one start to test the distribution system. Can the system be pressurized to test for vaccuum leaks. All the vaccuum traps are to be raplaced requardless and repacking the steam valves I would think is the first step, but that's all I know. I think the condensate pump installed below the boiler room floor has been replaced, because it "burned out" Near the boiler there is a what looks like a large steel box, with piping but have no idea what it is.

Any help out there, Thank you George
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Post photos?

Some photos might help, George.

That large steel box could be the vacuum pump/receiver or just, well, a large steel box. :) Mepco's vacuum units are welded steel tanks, painted blue, that may be a clue.

Pressure testing I would think would be easier to do than vacuum testing; it is easier to compress air to a higher degree than it is to draw a more limited vacuum. Also, most contractors have a compressor. Few would have vacuum pumps that I can see).

Of course you have to fully understand your system and where to valve off and isolate portions so that your volume to test is defined.

One thing I have found is that valve gland seal leaks add up. On one recent job, nearly every gland nut needed at least a half-turn if not a full one.

When vacuum steam works well, it is a beautiful thing.
This discussion has been closed.