Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chimney liner and insulation - oil boiler

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
it's a single pass Peerless unless it's underfired it won't condense in the average UNLINED chimney.Plenty of stack temp!
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• john_230
    john_230 Member Posts: 11
    chimney liner and insulation

I need to install a chiney liner. boiler is a 3 section CI Peerless. oil fuel.

At what btu level is liner insulation (pourable chimex or thermex) required to prevent condensation, and the surfuric acid it generates - whcih is corrosive to the liner.

I am installing a 316 T stainless steel, 6 inch line - and tryin gto decide if need to spend the dollars for insulation.

Best,
    John

• Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 123
    Air is an insulator

If you make sure the top and bottom of the chimney is stuffed with fiberglass and air tight, the air trapped inside also acts as an insulator. All you have to heat up is the stainless. I think that will work as long as you have 350+ entering and size it appropriately. If you use a small enough liner, you might not need a draft regulator either. That will help matters too.

Ken
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Thanks Ken

I knew that, but forgot that I knew that.
  • john_230
    john_230 Member Posts: 11
    to obrian...

Thanks

It is a single pass Peerless, bu the chimney needs a liner because the terracotta tile is eroded and broken away.

So liner will be stainless steel - but question is do I need to use insulation around the stainless steel - or can I do just the stainless liner, and no insulation?

the disadvantages I see to using insulation around the liner is 1) cost and 2) makes it difficult to repair / replace liner again in the future, or resize it, etc..should that ever be needed.

Would prefer to do the job with steel liner only and no insulation, but one vendor said steel is prone to condensation, and corrosion if not insulated.

View?

Best Regards,
  • How large is the chimney

John,

How large is the ID of the chimney that you are installing the 6"liner?

How (tall) high is the chimney from the thimble to the top?

Is it straight from top to bottom, or is it offset?

Ed Carey
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    Check Appendix E in 31

for some sizing guidelines. Sweeps with whom I've spoken find the sizings to be spot on. Is this an interior or exterior chimney. It makes a significant difference in performance. Answer those questions all ready asked and consider an insulated vent coneector. I've posted this before, but when John Strasser and Rich Krajewski did their vent modeling they said the thing that had the greatest impact on performance was an insulated chimney liner. Depending upon the size, you can get DS from Selkirk or DVL from Duravent.
This discussion has been closed.