Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOT WATER RADIATORS BANGING

Two wall thermostats control system (one up/one down) - no thermostatic valve on any radiators (at least by what I know a thermostatic valve to be - unless there could be something different in older homes ) - direct piping through the shut off Noise is definately a BANG - At my previous home, there was a tick.

Comments

• JENNIFER_9
    JENNIFER_9 Member Posts: 5
    hot water radiators banging

Live in a home built in 1930s. Has an oil fueled hot water radiator system (boiler replaced in 2006) When circulator turns on for either zone (1 for each floor of home) the radiators bang. Two plumbers have told me "It's normal - the metal is heating up" However, they do not live there (annoying during waking hours - sometimes unbearable during sleeping hours) The first floor tends to bang no matter which circulator (1st or 2nd floor) is running. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kathy_5
    kathy_5 Member Posts: 1
    banging

Hi my radiators do the same thing. Old house,steam heat. Just had a plumber here for a different issue and mentioned it to him. He put a 1" piece of wood under both left legs for a better "pitch". No more banging noise!
  • JENNIFER_9

thanks but system is hot water filled radiators - no steam
  • ED_45
    ED_45 Member Posts: 16
    HOT WATER RADIATORS

I had this exact problem. It is expansion and contraction.
    I have hardwood floors and over the years the radiators have dug in, so there is no way for the radiators to "move".
    I used the plastic from a gallon containor of milk, and cut out small sections and slid them under the radiator legs. this will allow the radiator to move and eliminate the banging. Found this solution on this forum and it does work. You could also use the milk caps from said bottles but I wasnt waiting until I drank 4 gallons of milk.
  • Aqua-stat

The boiler temp might be set to high. If the pump comes on it will cause pressure diff. and the water can flash to steam.

Have the aqua-stat looked at, it could be bad.
  • JENNIFER_9

would any caps work (ie furniture leg caps)? How about something soft (ie felt) - was worried about plastic melting to my hardwood floors
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Hi - Plastic milk bottles are made from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) which has a melting point of 266* F. You don't have to worry about it melting into your floors as HW systems run at a temperature way below that. (usually a maximum of 180* F or less)

I'd try the milk bottles first to see if that stops the noise and then if it does, you can look for something more suitable.

HDPE can be got in shiny jet black and a 12 inch x 12 inch x 1/8 thick piece runs about $8.00. You can probably get it from a local plastics store or from Mc Master Carr on the internet and cut it into 2x2 pieces.

As was suggested, it might be that your boiler temperature is too high and flashing to steam. I'd get it checked by a professional.

- Rod
  • ED_45
    ED_45 Member Posts: 16
    hot water rads

If the first floor radiators are heating when the circulator for the second floor is running, you may want to check the Flowcheck to A. make sure there is one installed, B. that water is not running by it
  • Evil lution
    Evil lution Member Posts: 14
    BANGING!!!

Do your radiators have thermostatic valves TRV. If so the banging could also be that your system is piped backwards. Banging is not normal for radiant system. Ticking is. The expanding metal makes a light tick not a bang.
  • JENNIFER_9

For those that used the bottle cap solution - did you have a BANG or was it a ticking - this sounds like someone is taking a hammer to the pipes.
This discussion has been closed.