Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirects and ASME, what do y'all find in your area

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
for asme is 5 cubic feet or 33 gals tank size so rarely do we exceed this or we just do 2 tanks to minimize size.

Comments

• tim smith
    Indirects and ASME, what do y'all find in your area

Just wondering what you all are seeing w/ inspectors on this subject regarding boilers over 200mbh and indirects. We are finding that our local regulators are requiring asme on indirects when boilers are over 200mbh and connected to a indirect. early 08 we went through this and they said we could use an indirect w/ out asme if the rating on the indirect showed it was not transferring more than 199,999 btu but now the official is saying he will not look at the transfer rate, just btu of boiler!!!! Frrrrrustrating. Any input say you all. Thanks, Tim
  • Expansion tank

Is he looking at your expansion tank rating as well?
  • Turbo max

I beleive that Turbomax makes an indirect that is asme. They are a bit pricy so if you get a price let the supplier know it has to be ASME.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • markotah
    markotah Member Posts: 36
    ASME

Turbomax does offer ASME versions but only in the larger models. T65 (up to 500K btu) an T109 (up to 1 mil btu)

Are you seeing this only in Commercial applications or in residential as well?
  • tim smith
    In Seattle, both res & comm. I have seen the reverse indirects

from turbomax but I still like the Superstore stainless tanks. They have treated us well but as I said, the city is putting the screws on these even though they show they don't exchange more than 200mbh.. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks, Tim
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    In Colorado...

they look at the transfer rate, with the tank at 180, and the boiler at 200, and without the delta T, it won't transfer 200K...

It is quite easy to misinterpret the code...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tim smith
    Mark, the problem with the code is they do not directly say

that it is the transfer rate, they also say it is up to the local code/jurisdiction authority to make their decision. If they said transfer/transmission rate in the ASME code I think our official would buy off but nooooooo. Tim
  • mr_4
    mr_4 Member Posts: 2

The reason for the ASME requirement can be found in ASME sec IV part HLW -101.2. This sec. states that water heaters are exempt when none of the following are exceeded
    input: 200,000 btu/hr
    water temp. 210 degrees
    capacity 120 gal.
    The Washington boiler board is looking at this so the requirements may change. The city if seattle must meet all state jurisdictional requirements, however they can exceed the requirements if the choose.

the current jurisdictional code book can be viewed on the lni web site

look @ the definition for hot water heater
    RCW 70.79.080 (12)
    RCW 70.79.090 (5)

www.lni.wa.gov/tradeslicensing/boilers

The city of Seattle boiler sec. will be hosting a stackholders meeting in the near future to discuss this and other changes. check the jurisdiction and Seattle web pages for information.

hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.