Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temp setback savings

I have gotten so many conflicting answers over the years on whether setting back a heat thermostat at night saves any energy. I've had many plant engineers and heating professionals tell me that it cost more to bring the temp back up than is saved, which seems to be a common assumption. The reasons are usuallyl based on murky fellings rather than any type of science. I can not accept this from a rate of heat loss perspective let alone the savings from running steady to bring the temp back up v. a cycling system. If setting back does save, how far to set back? The more the better?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    why don't you try it

and basically do your own experiment? every house is different..thats why the great debate..you'll have to find what works for your house.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Forced air, but well controlled...

The NRC did a study of reset thermostats in their twin test houses. I'm not sure if both homes had the exact same MRTs and comfort levels, but on twin identical well completely monitored tight (R2000 standard = very low infiltration) forced air (low mass / low lag) heated home, they found significant savings.

With most boilers, I'd say you couldn't get away with half that setback that they used in the study without comfort issues and with a modcon I would say 2 degrees would have to be the extreme limit for anything done daily, but nevertheless, the evening setbacks tend to occur when the outside temp is lowest and there is no solar gain. An afternoon setback from 10 to 3pm, might allow the house to coast a bit if there is strong solar and if not, ramp up for 6pm.

Everything in moderation...

http://www.utahenergyaudit.com/thermostats.html
This discussion has been closed.