Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Broken Gb142, Boiler does not work properly.

Xc8p2dC
Xc8p2dC Member Posts: 41
Always remember to shut down appliances before running out of fuel or refueling and keep them off until generator has reached full power, it's a Sine Wave thing

Comments

• Guy Decoteau
    Guy Decoteau Member Posts: 2
    Broken Gb142, Boiler does not work properly.

I install a GB142-30 in a residence in april of 2007, and before Christmas 2008 they had a power outage, and the back up generator came on for 10 minuets and then normal power came back on, when or during this event this gb142 stopped working properly. I have called Buderus and their Techs have no clue to what the problem is. So this is the problem that I told them: boiler does not ramp up for calls to heat, but does heat domestic hot water, and if you put the boiler in heating mode only[heats all six zones] it operates perfectly, but when in this mode it dose not heat domestic hot water.Although it does heat domestic fine in normal mode.I did find a zone valve that was shot and disconnected it from the system, now if this were a problem with the delta T it should be ok when running only half the zones and is not.It has 110 power to the board, the fuse is not blown, all connections seam to be good,no codes are present, I think the problem is in one of the boards, but they are factory orders,and what if they are not the problem? Could a power spike have gargeled the programing, Buderus says no, what do you say,Please help, Broken boiler.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
    Very frustrating.........

I had a similar problem with another manufacturer about 5 years ago. It was an intermittent problem (which is always the most difficult to solve). I eventually just went with my gut and changed out the main board...never happened again. Are you in The North East? Charlie Smith is the man to talk to....keep us posted. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Scrambeled chip set...

Generators don't produce a real clean power, and I suspect that your eprom got scrambled. No way to fix that except replace it.

Dennis Bellanti of Ferguson in Denver has some experience with your type/style of problem.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tccoggs_2
    tccoggs_2 Member Posts: 14

Was this a residence??

Biggest issue with generators isn't the generator but the transfer switch. The low end switches just don't have the monitoring you need to insure a clean transition. One of my customers learned this the hard way when LIPA had an overvoltage/frequency issue and their transfer switch, and the transfer switch went nuts because of it. Cause them about $14k in damaged equipment.

A good 200amp single phase switch will cost $2-3k, if it doesn't I would take a hard look at the specs.
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Backup power problem

I've had some problems with spikes with various electronic equipment over the years and found it to be expensive to fix. At the very least I would put some kind of power conditioning in line with the boiler controls. I would also think about maybe using an on-delay relay in the power circuit set to come on after you are sure the power has transfered over.
  • Guy Decoteau
    Guy Decoteau Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the impute.

Thanks for the impute guys, and will investigate, the genorator set up and specs, and get some isolation protection for power introduction to this boiler, and get the programing repaired or replaced for this residence in Bellingham Washington.
This discussion has been closed.