Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic radiant heat question

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
80 year old grand father was observing his grandson playing out n the field. When approached, he saw him spraying earth worms with hair spray and sticking them back into the ground.

The next day, when the grandson went out to play, his grandma smiled and gave him a twenty dollar bill and told him he needed to buy some more hair spray...Grandpa has used all of his old can up the night before:-)

I think you will probably run in to more resistance than what you think, and the heat is going to run in to a LOT more resistance trying to get from the inside of the pipe, up in to the house.

If you try it, and it doesn't work, you've at least got SOME tubing to start doing the radiant ceiling heating system you always wanted...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Revdog
    Revdog Member Posts: 1
    Hydronic radiant heat question

I have an older hydronic in floor system(1979)Previous owner said that the system worked until a few years ago and that he blew a hole in the tubes (black poly tubing) with too much pressure and too high of heat. My question is would it be possible to run a smaller diameter pex tube through the existing tubing? The current tubing is 3/4 od and thought about trying to sleeve it with 3/8 od pex. any thoughts would be appreciated, also if possible what type of pex would be best for this application.
  • MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    I donta unnerstan

I get that it would be hard to put earth worms back in the ground after spraying them with hairspray. I unnerstan that. Good correlation to trying to run one tube through another.

I no unnerstan the rest, 'bout Grampa and Gramma.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    ME

ROFLMAO
  • Erik J. Hoffman
    Erik J. Hoffman Member Posts: 12
    Find it and couple it back together

Find the leak and couple it back together.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
    I doubt

you would be able to push around too many bends or loops. That size tube could mean it is a very long loop length.

Sounds like the old black poly "well pipe" Many car washes built around that era used that well tubing for snowmelt tube. it didn't have an O 2 barrier, but seemed to hold up fine if the temperatures were not excessive.

It may be easier to find and fix the break, although their could be more than one if it overheated for any length of time.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.