Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why are my floors warm

Scott177
Scott177 Member Posts: 1
I have a Buderus G124 II and the blocked chimney switch has shut the boiler off 5 or 5 times since the boiler was installed 5 years ago. Problem has normally happenned on very windy days. This i a temp sensor mounted on the open drawt hood on the rear of the boiler. The house is a cape and is an outside lined chimney. Realizing that outside chimneys are cold and tough to start a draft, this problem normally does not happen on the coldest days of the year, but it did happen last night and I do not believe it was windy last night. There are some tall pines around the house.
Wonderring if they make different temp spill switches or if I can re-mount the existing switch a tinybit lower on the draft box (it is about 2" up from the bottom) Maybe add a chimney cap? or a fan to help with draft? There is an electric damper on the flue pipe. I need help!! scott

Comments

• Lisa_11
    Lisa_11 Member Posts: 1
    Floors are warm

Hello,

I just moved into a home and the floors in most of the house are warm. The landlords said there is not radiant heat in the home. The gas bill was unbelievably high. What should I look for?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide me.

Lisa
  • Warm Floors

I'm no heating professional, but I had the same thing in the old house I moved into. It had hot water radiator heat. I went into the basement and wrapped the hot radiator pipes with fiberglass insulation. I was later told that its good to leave the pipes exposed in the basement because the heat they give off warms the floor above and in return warms the living area of the house.

I don't think I've seen a heating bill that isn't obscene. Mine was $484 last month for a 2600 sqft house, and I don't put the heat above 68; next month's will probably be $550.

The heating guy came out and told me to insulate the bandboard around the basement with unbacked fiberglass batts. I did this and I believe it has helped, the basement certainly feels more snug and it's true, a warmer basement means a warmer living area above.

Good luck.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Scott

You should post this as a New Thread. Lisa has a different question and your question will not be seen by the right people.

There is an urgency in what you are asking, so get a professional in there ASAP. It is an obviously unsafe condition. Make sure you go out right now and get Carbon Monoxide detectors and use them. Now.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Ask yourself

what is below the floor. Is it an array of uninsulated pipes? Do you have steam or hot water?

A hunch (based on the most common situation I can think of), is that you have steam heating and uninsulated, perhaps abated, piping.

That would give you warm floors (so what's not to like?) but also higher gas bills because the steam system is not holding pressure as it should.

As for gas bills which are "unbelievably high", that is subjective. I know a lot of folks who say that yet have gas bills some countries would go to war to get. :)

So, as an aside, how many therms did you use for December and January and where are you located? How many SF is your home, as a rough benchmark?
  • TR
    TR Member Posts: 40
    gas usage

Like many people here on the Wall I have spent a lot of time trying to make sure my home and my 16yr old, natural gas, FHW boiler (Burnham 2A) are as energy efficient as possible. Attached is a gas bill showing usage for last season. House is 2,000 SF typical colonial located in RI. Thermostats are set at 62 (night) and 70 when we are home.

This summer I thoroughly cleaned the boiler which obviously had never been done since installation back in 1991. December 2008 gas usage was 138 CCF and 1069 degree days. Total bill was $228 so I guess considering the age of the house/boiler I am doing OK.

Also attached are before/after photos of the boiler. Thanks Tim and everyone else for all your help!

TR
  • TR
    gas bills

Like many people here on the Wall I have spent a lot of time trying to make sure my home and my 16yr old, natural gas, FHW boiler (Burnham 2A) are as energy efficient as possible. Attached is a gas bill showing usage for last season. House is 2,000 SF typical colonial located in RI. Thermostats are set at 62 (night) and 70 when we are home.

This summer I thoroughly cleaned the boiler which obviously had never been done since installation back in 1991. December 2008 gas usage was 138 CCF and 1069 degree days. Total bill was $228 so I guess considering the age of the house/boiler I am doing OK.

I have attached before/after photos of the boiler and thanks Tim and everyone else for all your help!

TR
  • TR
    gas usage

Like many people here on the Wall I have spent a lot of time trying to make sure my home and my 18yr old, natural gas, FHW boiler (Burnham 2A) are as energy efficient as possible. Attached is a gas bill showing usage for last season. House is 2,000 SF typical colonial located in RI. Thermostats are set at 62 (night) and 68 when we are home.

This summer I thoroughly cleaned the boiler which obviously had never been done since the house was built in 1991. December 2008 gas usage was 138 CCF and 1069 degree days. Total bill was $228 so I guess considering the age of the house/boiler I am doing OK.

I have attached before/after photos of the boiler. Thanks Tim and everyone else for all your help!

TR
This discussion has been closed.