Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"Wild Goose Chase\" Calls

Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
Get payment for the trip charge before you start up your trucks.

Start by taking CC over the phone i guaranty you will not be waiting or rescheduling calls.

If you feel uncomfortable with this you can include 15 min of "Free" diagnostics's. in the Trip charge.

Comments

• Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    To bill, or not to bill... THAT is the question

Lately we've had a streak of calls where we show up and the homeowner isn't home at the scheduled time. We've been leaving a polite note on the door for them to call back and reschedule for a later date, but 9 out of 10 times we never get the call.

What do you guys do in this situation? We've started calling every customer before hand to avoid this. If they don't answer, we won't drive all the way out there. But, on the off chance they're on the phone (not answering their call waiting) or still have "dial-up" internet, we run the risk of losing the job for not being on time or for not showing up at all.

a rock and a hard place sorta stuff here...

If I show at the scheduled time and the person is not at home, or if I show and they've "forgot" to cancel is there anything I can really do?

Just looking for suggestions and positive opinions...

Thanks!

Mike
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I leave a written invoice for 1 hour minimum service call, nd follow that up with an evening call. Period. Several people complain, but I push it and want payment. Had a sweet little old lady cancel because she forgot she had a funeral to attend, and I billed her an hour. I am never wrong about a date & time, and I call if I will be 2 minutes late.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    One other reason

to get CC # before starting up the truck..it keeps you from being one of the 5 companies the homeowner calls at the same time. You know the ones. Whoever shows up first gets the job. You get there and three other trucks pull up, or there's two other trucks already sitting in the drive.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Spicoli I still like the story of the three guys showing up at the same time and all three agree to not take the call and leave with the home owner chasing after them. People think it is like calling a cab at times I swear. If you are going to charge them for no shows on their part I would suggest making that part of your script when taking calls. I would say even the threat would make them not do it.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • S Ebels_2
    S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
    Just a thought

When you take the call, ask for a credit card number and tell them you will bill their card for the call in the event they are not home at the scheduled time. Of course, you also have to keep up your end of the bargain and arrive at the appointed time.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    ah yes

one of the reasons i don't like residential
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    sweet little old lady

whooo, that's cold! and her having alzheimers and it was her hubby's funeral. <;-)
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    We always call before heading over, at least that is what I r

request be done. And if no one answers we usually don't go. We try and clarify all this ahead of time. We ask if they want a call ahead, if they say no just come, we will add that time to the call when we finish or send a bill. There are some instances where we waive this if confusion but the call ahead really is the way to go. Tim
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    We call ahead to confirm and need voice

verification that someone will be there. If they are a good account and the reason they were not there is good we do not bill. If we show and someone had already done the repair and left they get a bill and we close the account.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.