Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking steam radiator

Kool Rod
Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
Hi Sara- Since you have a "neighbor downstairs", I'm assuming that you have a common heating system and therefore it should be the responsibility of whom ever is in charge of the steam system to fix the problems you have been having.

The valves need to either be replaced or more probably have the valve stems repacked. The steam system has to be turned off at the boiler for this to be done otherwise you could get a bad burn from the steam.

There are other better ways of controlling the heat rather than turning the radiator valves on and off. Is your steam system one pipe or two pipe? (Meaning - how many pipes connect to each radiator?)

Temporary help for the leaks - You might try wrapping aluminum foil around the pipe (you can use an rubber (elastic) band tied to hold it in place) and forming the foil so that it forms a collector and scoop to duct the water to a small bowl put along side the pipe,

- Rod

Comments

• Sara_3
    Sara_3 Member Posts: 1
    leaking steam radiator

I have steam heat and I noticed a few of the radiators are leaking water when I turn the heat on. the water appears to be leaking from the nozzle, the handle that you turn to put the heat on. it'sa slow drip that eventually stops. But the one in the bathroom has caused damage to my neighbors ceiling who resides below me. What can I do, other than wrap a towel around the nozzle, to prevent this from happening? Why is tis happening?

Please help. I would like to fix it myself if I can.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.