Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This Old House

JB_8
JB_8 Member Posts: 85
It hurt when they took the steam out that worked for 75 years. The steam replaced the hot air in the 30's

Comments

• Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
    Updating Old Steam System

This week's episode features the crew updating the steam heating system for their latest project, which is a brownstone in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Will Norm just make a new one out of oak in his shop? Maybe they will find some dry-rot in 'dier...hopefully they keep it and get a pro to do it right. Problem is everyone who watches that will think they can do what they did and replace their own...heck, you can probably be sued for even using the words this, old, & house in the same sentence or title of a post.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Scot_4
    Scot_4 Member Posts: 6
    Norm

Maybe some "sqrews and gluew" will hold that new system together.
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
    Disappointed

Not a whole lot about heating in that episode as it turns out.
  • Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    This Old house

Our house was selected to do an episode on Steam for this old house… Richard came out, looked around (even had Dan's book with him). He wasn't sure what the problem was but promised to figure it out. They never called me back again. I was told there wasn't time to do the episode. They ended up doing a thing on replacing and radiator air vent.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    thought they...

were talking about converting the 1 pipe steam rad's to hot water by piping to the plugged end. Wasn't clear what steam infrastructure was left other than the rad's.
  • Jackchips_4
    Jackchips_4 Member Posts: 4
    So Boston,

what was and what did you do to correct the problem-if you did?
  • and Richard sometimes

And Richard sometimes call a boiler a furance! Didn't like the one show he did by installing a spriovent on the supply side of boiler while the pump is on return and pumping to steel tank, saying it a cure all for getting rid of air in system.. I'm still waiting for the sqeual (sp) of him repeatly of him coming back, putting air in tank and replacing the relief valves.
  • tccoggs_2
    tccoggs_2 Member Posts: 14
    In Richards Defense

I belive there was also an episode where he moved the pumps from the return side to the supply side to fix and air problem. I guess he got around to reading pumping away, cause he explain the concept to the homeowner as per Dan's book.
  • Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    Cracked boiler

Turns out the boiler was cracked. So we ended up replacing it. We also found out that our system never had any main vents. Richard thought the system was underfired.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

This old house is akin to speaking of all things evil in our home. Da got so tired back in the day of Bob on the show of hearing about it from customers he would ask them to call Bob then. If we were sued as many times as they are over homes I could be a non-profit too, infact I would have to be.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    This Old House

I'm proud to say that Lochinvar will be involved in the Brownstone project. The filming is this week but I can't tell you much about what to expect to see on the episode until after the shoot.

My friend Jerry Katz from Wallace Eannace and I have been invited to attend, I'll be sure to update everyone later this week.

Stirling

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Their bad attitude towards steam systems

is one reason I didn't renew my subscription to TOH magazine. As others have said, Tretheway doesn't know steam at all, and TOH doesn't listen to anyone else.

Old-House Journal rules- one reason is that Dan writes for them!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rick_91
    Rick_91 Member Posts: 25
    I guess that's why Viessmann under performs-

-in New England, Trethewey is a TV plumber and spends too much time trouble shooting systems he doesn't understand? Things that make you go hmmmmmm
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Pretends to know

Yes i have seen many shows of TOH were Richard is just running around pretending to know Heat..

Maybe he shall stick with explaining the "1/4 inch per foot"(Plumbing) and even with the PVC piping in one show he primed the joints applied the glue put it together and let it go! you can see it coming apart while the camera is running!

Priceless!

• Stirling Boston
    This Old House - Brooklyn Brownstone

I got to see the boiler room today and it is a beauty! Randy and Erik Gitli from Adladin Plumbing in Brooklyn did a really nice job and I think you will like what you see.

I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can and let you know when you can expect to see the episode on TV.

The job included 1 Knight, 1 Knight Wall Mount and 2 Squire indirects.

Dan H., wouldn't you know the one time I come to visit your nice state you are in Hawaii LOL! Sorry I missed you and TLM.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Hey, someone has to be here. :-)

I haven't seen Randy and Erik in some years. Great guys. Dad must be retired, eh?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Stirling Boston

Not sure, they mentioned that he started the business but I don't know if he is still around or not.

• s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    This Old House Bklyn project

Erik & I executed a hostile takeover some time ago and retired Dad to MD. We're doin a good job of holding down the fort in Bklyn. It's been a while; how've ya been Dan?
  • Howard Emerson
    Howard Emerson Member Posts: 111
    Reality/realty check

I see that the place is really coming out quite nicely, but I am confused: Who, in their right mind, would pay $2500/month rent for a 2 bedroom 3rd story walk-up?

Maybe if it had an elevator, or an Inclinator..........

Baffled,
    Howard
  • John Mills_4
    John Mills_4 Member Posts: 43
    Rent

I was thinkin' the same thing. Glad I don't live in NYC! I still remember the week House Hunters did in the Big Apple. $1000 a sq ft to buy a place like that plus hundreds in HOA fees. Gasp.

So 2 boilers for the owner's space and 2 rentals?
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Richard's skills

He teflon taped and doped male adapters screwed them in and then soldered the pipes in one episode. He broke rule number one
  • s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    right mind

You'd be surprised who'd pay! These days it's very trendy to live in Brownstone Brooklyn. For me though, I'd rather commute to the 'burbs where $2,500 covers my mortgage & taxes!
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    he is a ...

marketing guy/ salesman. Not that that is a bad thing. kpc
  • Defending Richard T.

Back when I started doing Radiant Heating every job I got, and I mean EVERY JOB, was from someone who had seen it on This Old House. I credit him with restarting the Radiant Industry. Maybe he doesn't do everything everyone likes, but how many of you would like a camera taping you, so we could pick apart your every move? Next you will be picking apart the awesome plumber on the American Builder Show, on Comcast.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
    Rich T.

Bob,

I'll second your remarks. Richard Trethewey, as much as anyone, created the radiant renaissance in North America by showcasing it on TOH. -DF

• Totally agree

I agree with Dan and Bob, He has helped our industry in several different ways. He was a plumber like most of us and now he is a celebrity on TV. Not too bad in my book. His company is in our area and they rep some great products and offer good tech support. He has managed to stay ahead of the curve for a long time. So what if he solders a joint after putting teflon on it.

This discussion has been closed.