Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trapless 2 pipe (ME)

I came across a interesting 2 pipe steam system. It uses Trane convectors to convey the heat to the rooms. THe supply main runs parallel to the condensate returns. The end of the steam main, and the condensate mains have air vents on them, and the all combine into the gravity return to carry condensate back to the boiler, through a conventional Hartford loop on the boilers equalizer piping. I've looked as hard as I can, short of removing asbestos insulation, and I can not see any kind of trap on the return sides of these things at all. Could they have orifi' in the returns to give the differential needed to keep the supply side from seeing the return side?

The ends of the mains and condensate returns were buried in the wall, and I could not see all I needed to see. May have to go back with a SeeSnake to see more of the end.

Ideas?

TIA

PS, System was put together in the mid 40's.

ME

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Orifice

Mark, I've heard that some Tranes used an orifice right at the radiator. Unfortunately that's about all the experience I've had with these. :)

Good luck, Rich
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    trane

Mark check out Dans "Hot Tech Topics" page 13 Title Trane Whistles, this might help you out
  • BINGO!!

Thanks Mikey, you and Dan just saved me a WHOLE lot of heart ache...

Gonna have to purchase some Bricks for that stint.

ME
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Trane

No worries Mark, I love that Hot Tech topic... lots of good stuff Dan's got in that section
  • As Dan says...

it PAYS to wander off the Wall.

ME
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Lots of those Tranes around Baltimore

I've even added radiation to them. They work great. You MUST equip them with Vaporstats to keep steam out of the dry returns.

The original vents on these systems were vacuum-type, and should be replaced. With oil or gas firing those vac vents can hold water up in the system, causing flooding when it finally comes back.

Also, the steam main vent should be sized for a lower ounce pressure then the dry return vent. In the typical small house around here with this system, we would use a Gorton #2 on the steam main and a Gorton #1 on the dry return. This helps the steam distribute thru the main first.

Oh, and unless you want some MAJOR aggravation and a PO'd customer, don't try to convert this system to hot-water.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Cold rads

I have a job where some rads don't get hot at all. The riser to the rad is hot but not the rad. I took off both the supply and return ells, no orifice. Could these be clogged internally? Thanks for the response
  • Jack_44
    Jack_44 Member Posts: 35
    Harvey's post

Harvey -

With this response, I'll bump your question up to the top of the heap, but you'd really be better off starting a new thread.

Peace.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Steam traps, do you have them?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.