Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new to steam

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Hiss / leak bad, will not go away. Need new packing or new valve. Should be able to shut off all the way. Now, start checking traps...

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• new to steam - supply valves

two pipe system: after finding a couple problems at the boiler, clogged siphon tube, stuck pressure gauge, we finally got heat to and through the radiators, and so here's the question; the supply valves are very easy to turn, and some hiss/leak. what's normal? do they eventually expand/'tighten' with heat, and quit hiss/ leak? should they be able to completely close-off the supply?
  • thanks tim

historic church, originally with two coal fired boilers that were converted to one oil, one gas, then the oil to gas. and yeah, traps a'plenty, in terrible locations, and i'd bet they haven't been cleaned in eons. i tried to remove the drain plug from one, and quit when it looked as though i'd round it off. unfortunately, a low budget church

thanks for the prompt response
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

That is the irony of steam. Low budget so leave it because we have heat, but fixing it would save much more $$$. Any hissing (except air leaving a vent) is $$$ going into the air. Remember, you used gas to make that steam, and now it is in the air where you get no return for your investment. Same with steam shooting past a trap. Keep your steam ($$$) in the main where it belongs, not in the return or in the air. Also, remember...2-pipe, 2psi or less.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • yeah, waste

and whoa! 2psi or less? i set the pressuretrol to the 'as found' setting at 2 with a 2 diff; gauge reads 4

and...i just happened to get a call from their church member(free) maint man, and he said that the space was fine, 70degs, radiators heating, and when he was at the boiler, he heard the cond ret pump come on, boiler fired 'lightly' for 'tenish' seconds, and noticed that the sight glass was completely full. i'd left it yesterday at approx half full
  • Pat_35
    Pat_35 Member Posts: 19
    he called again

and we discussed a thorough cleaning of the traps, and repair/replacement of the supply valves come spring. and he did verify that the gauge went from 1/2 - 1-1/2 on the firing that he noticed

again, thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.