Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Pressuretrol Controller

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
What City are you in? You are looking for a vaporstat, and a smaller increment gauge is all. Maybe 1-5psi. You must leave the 1-30psi gauge on it for code, but you can add one.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• BAB
    BAB Member Posts: 118
    Honeywell Pressuretrol Controller

When we installed our new boiler 3-4 years ago it had a Honeywell PA404A with additive differential. We usually ran our two pipe steam system up to 4-6 psi, and sometimes higher, ... because we did not know any better. We have read this website for a year or so & invested in some of the books listed on the site. We now run the system at less than one psi most of the time. Our steam system is a lot more efficient & we intend to improve it more. The operating range of the existing pressuretrol is 0.5 to 9 psi and the differential is 1 to 5 psi.

We need more sensitive boiler instrumentation like (oz/sq in) instead of psi. Please suggest the Honeywell model numbers and also some dial gage manufacturer model numbers. BAB
  • BAB
    answer to request

Springfield, MA, ... Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand the code requirement now that you explained it. I am building a 1 inch black iron pipe tree (manifold) to house the various gages & instruments for the boiler. On the vaporstat please suggest a source, manufacturer, model number for a commercial boiler.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Vaporstat

Honeywell L408J1025 Vaporstat, 0-16 oz, mercury-free.

These are available on line but I strongly suggest you go through a professional unless you are qualified.

The boiler gauge is 0-30 PSIG by code (twice the boiler's relief valve rating and not particularly useful as instrumentation by the way!) So that of course must stay.

The above selection has sister device which has a 0-4 PSI range, also Hg. free, but the ideal for most systems is less than a pound.

I see you plan on using iron pipe. Normally I specify red brass but given that you are using iron, "keep it large" and use tees to enable rodding out now and again. I like to use brass ball valves below my instrumentation, unions for dis-assembly. You may want to go to brass for your final approach where tubing becomes small.

• Can't the installation of a vaporstat and low pressure gauge be DIY?

we just gotta tee the pigtail no?
    or are there something else to it? i was planning on ordering and installing but brad knows what hes talking bout so i want to confirm...
    Brad do you have pics of "brass ball valves " i hear that alot and wondering what that is...
    Thanks
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

1-30 gauge is code, my bad...I was in a hurry this morning and not awake yet...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • BAB

Thanks for your detailed answers and safety (professional) comments. I am an Industrial Engineer but used licensed gas piper & gas permit during boiler supply line install. Used separate licensed plumber on steam & water piping. He pulled water permit. Also used separate licensed professional burner start-up man and a year later had him checking & tweaking system. Actually the burner tech suggested changing my instrument manifold (tree) if I changed to a Vaporstat when running system at lower pressure.

I plan to use 1 inch tee above the boiler. The horizontal one inch pipe (black iron) will be capped on one end and have a one inch ball valve on the other end. I was told the valve is needed for inspection, quick easy examination of boiler steam characteristics and moisture blow off. All gauges and controls will each have their own respective vertical ¼” brass siphon loop (pigtail). Rather than use a bunch of tees for mounting the pigtails I was going to drill & tap (1/4”) to reduce water pocketing. Someone told me I needed a plugged tee on the horizontal so they (inspectors) can attach their own instrumentation if so motivated. If that is true I would use a one inch cross rather than a tee, and bush & plug the top of the cross.

This is my third time redoing the boiler instrumentation tree arrangement so your insight & comments would be appreciated before I do it again. See "Attachment"

BAB
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    pigtail arrangement

here is how i arranged my pigtails:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=430148&_#Message430148
    nbc
  • PA404A1367

I have a PA404A1367 pressuretrol with plans of replacing it with a vaporstat when money permits.
    in the meantime, i have a emergency question regarding this pressuretrol:
    its a subtractive differential so i have main set to 2psi and differential set between .5psi and 1psi. So .75psi to per say. My questions are:
    -when the boiler reaches its cut out a 2psi(main) i can hear the trip on the pressuretrol(it clicks) but it doesnt shut down the boiler. Why?
    -the unit actually shuts down at 5.5psi per the factory installed pressure guage (0-30psi). Could it be that the guage is actually wrong and not suitable for low pressure reading and when it reads 5.5 its actually 2psi?
    and how popular is this issue with homeowners that the factory guage is not correct or is it just me?

Thanks for any input. Much appreciated.
  • hello

hi pros, can anyone comment on the post above?
    much appreciated.
    thanks
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 194

Bob,
    I would suggest starting a new thread of your own, you will have a better chance of getting a reply.
    Have you checked for a clogged pigtail?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.