Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black steel pipe in concrete

Options
Duane_5
Duane_5 Member Posts: 1
I need to find out the effects of black steel pipe inbedded in concrete. Any articles would help.

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    gauranteed to rot

You get seven years & then any more is a gift. tar or ashphaltum paint gives a good edge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Say What

The alkalinity of concrete protects the steel. It will last forever. Re-bar is one example. Sole plate anchors (J-bolts) las forever as well. The gas pipe that comes into most basements was never sleeved and is still fine. The cast iron DWV system also penetrates the concrete and lasts forever as well.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    concrete

you should check out the radiant systems in levitown. there are none..........not anymore. always thought concrete might have had something to do with it but if you say burying steel pipe in concrete is a good practice then i stand corrected. live & learn.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

Duane, it all depends on what is going through this pipe depends on the concrete mix --depends if their is any stray voltage -it depends on what it is connected to coming out of and going into the concrete ----- it depends on the location --ground water etc.. --it just depends --the welder we work makes a living out of replacing buried steel lines
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Options
    copper tubing ain Levittown

Dan's articles state that the infloor in Levittown was copper not steel. I have a friend whose dad gas welded all the return bends on a schedule 40 iron pipe system in the 1950's and it still works fine.
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Options
    copper tubing in Levittown

Dan's articles state that the infloor in Levittown was copper not steel. I have a friend whose dad gas welded all the return bends on a schedule 40 iron pipe system in the 1950's and it still works fine.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Not

Sorry I don't buy the concrete rotting steel pipe. I have tore down bridges from the 20's with rebar as pristine as the day it was installed. The only places with rust on the rebar were due to cracks in the concrete allowing road salts to penetrate to the rebar.

If concrete mixtures were the issue reacting with bare steel they would have done something different along time ago in that spectrum. Epoxy coated rebars purpose is to protect the rebar from road salt when the concrete fails. This allows for the concrete to be replaced with out sacrificing structural integrity.

Levitown radiant slab failures were due to the effects of alkaline to copper. Some soils even react to copper.

Gordy
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bob,

The Levittown pours were cinder-laden, high in sulphur (ash) content and without rebar, footings or compaction. Floor cracks did most of the damage and you are correct, in that environment, nothing lasted.

Yet another example of F. Lloyd Wright's "brilliant" design failures.

His architectural mind was awesome. His mechanical engineering talents woefully diminished. Almost everything he designed has fallen apart prematurely and in some instances, failed to meet the most modest structural duration.

Both copper and steel radiant tubing was used, BTW
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options
    Levitt not Wright?

That would have been William Levitt (along w/ Abraham and Alfred), not Frank Lloyd Wright. I expect speed and cost were driving factors in the slab details. Still, a facinating piece of post war American history.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Levitt's merely built them.

F.L.Wright's input was immense:

"More than a decade before the first Levittown slab was poured, 24-year-old Alfred Levitt took a leave from the family firm to watch legendary architect Frank Lloyd Wright work his magic. It was 1936, and every day for 10 months, Levitt would head to the Great Neck site where the designer was building publisher Ben Rehbuhn's house, a sweeping horizontal brick-and-glass structure that echoed Wright's earlier Prairie School designs. Alfred drank in the details, riveted by the foppish Wright's utopian theories (he believed form follows esthetics) yet repulsed by his profligacy (nine out of 10 bricks delivered to the Rehbuhn site were rejected as imperfect). Alfred loved the openness of the plan. The unity between interior and landscape. The signature fireplace, which served as the focal point of the house.
    Wright wanted something that could be built fast, cheap and for the masses of folks that would finance via the G.I. bill."

Slab construction and in-floor radiant was a F.L.Wright concept long before the Levitt brothers developed L.I. potato farms into tract homes.
This discussion has been closed.