Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

panting vents

Options
ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
Panting on low-pressure steam occurs as the steam moves through the piping and radiators. After the metal warms, the panting stops. As long as your system works well, quietly, and efficiently, no problem.

Comments

• Stewy_2
    Stewy_2 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Panting vents

My waterline on my steam boiler moves up and down in the sight glass about a half an inch or less (which I think I'm happy with) but, the vents on the radiator pant to the movement of the water. Any thought?
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Stewy, I'm scratching my noggin over your question...

How do you know the vents on your radiators are panting if your watching the sight glass bounce?

I am assuming your boiler is in the basement and the radiators are in the living space.
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Similar thought

Stewy has big ears?

:)
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    One word...

Boilercam.

(yeah, I've done it)
  • Stewy_2
    Stewy_2 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    I can see how this question is strange

The main vents do it too and the radiators sound the same way. The system does whistle slightly.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    panting vents

i am sure the panting you hear is not from the boiler waterline movement, but more likely from some trapped, or pooled condensate in the lines. also incomplete insulation can cause this.

it's important to distinguish between the firing/pressure stage, and the vacuum/relief stage of vent operation. thats why i have a low-pressure gauge on one of my rads' vent holes.
    usually adding more main venting quiets these rad vents down.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.