Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Friday Boiler Quiz

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
I know it sounds crazy but were they for a set of gauge glass cocks???

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Does anyone want to guess what these holes are for

The "Extra" holes that were punched in the side of the boiler. Anyone want to guess why someone would do that?

I'm certain one of you savvy service guys will know. This is an older Peerless MMW series boiler. The only hint I will give is that the additional holes are not used for make up air.

Regards,

PR
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    lighting the pilot

How 's that Paul kinda noticed the lack of access to the front of the unit .clammy
  • Paul Rohrs_7
    Paul Rohrs_7 Member Posts: 173
    You guys

are giving the previous "technician" wayyyy to much credit.

This is a (nat gas fired) CI Section water boiler. More guesses?

Paul
  • it was done by

The unit was installed by some handyman who doesn't know the differnece from boiler to furance..
  • J Christensen_2
    J Christensen_2 Member Posts: 6
    holes

They are access holes to get a wrench on the pump flanges.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    We have a winner!

JC is right on. Some tech looking for an easy answer just drilled thru the boiler to gain access to the pump flange bolts.

Let someone try and drill thru our Knight boiler installs and someone will have to post bail money for me.

Regards,

PR
  • Darrell_7
    Darrell_7 Member Posts: 35

Yep, JC is right, I didn't even have to open the pics to know what was coming up! I usually use a sheetmetal circle cutter...way prettier...and then a sawzall for the bolts.

By the way...I serviced an MMW yeaterday...30+ years old. It still had the original Amtrol 110 on it, a GFS 20-42 on it, and the OEM gas valve. The Taco zonevalves looked original...the heads had been changed. It checked out with my handy dandy testo at 78.9 percent effecient. This boiler has been checked faithfully every year...mostly by me...and is there as a testimony that regular service makes a difference. I know there are boilers out there that are alot more efficient...but they aren't more economical. Why would I change this boiler out?

Looking at the picture...somebody did shorten the drafthood to make it fit. Cleaning those burners will require a "noodle-head attachement" for the service man.
This discussion has been closed.