Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator valves

while you are ordering new vents, why not check your main vents as they do most of the work. also check your pressure as it may be too high-under 1 psi is best.

you would certainly benefit from a copy of dan's steam book available here.

if you can find you boilers install manual on the internet, compare your piping layout with the instructions in it. your water-hammer may be the result of improper piping, or uninsulated pipes. some pix posted here would be helpful for you to receive opinions from all the experts on this site.--nbc

Comments

• Howard Liberman
    Howard Liberman Member Posts: 2
    Steam radiator air vents

I have an old one pipe steam heating system with a newer boiler. The boiler is about 8 years old. I had it converted to gas when I bought my house about a year ago.

I have issues with water hammer and the new vents that I buy at Home Depot work for a short while and then seem to fail.

Where can I get better quality valves.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
  • Vents

You can try here , vents get no better than these.
    Water hammer may be another issue though.

Dave
  • Vents

You can try here , vents get no better than Gorton.
    Water hammer may be another issue though.

Dave

• Howard - At what pressure does your boiler run? It should be under 2 PSI. High pressure can trash vents in a hurry. With steam heating, lower pressure = better performance.

If you don't already have them, I'd highly suggest Dan's books on steam heating. (See "A Steamy Deal" at the bottom of this page.) Start with "We Got Steam Heat". They're easy reading and written for the homeowner.
    Great books! They enabled me to get my 1 pipe steam system running optimally and economically.
This discussion has been closed.