Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inoperative pressuretrol

Frank_65
Frank_65 Member Posts: 3
I do not think the thing is working at all. The mercury switch has been forced to the closed position so it seems to me that the boiler is not being regulated by the pressuretrol at all. If it is not reading pressures from the boiler and is just stuck in the cycle "on" position it seems to me that the thermostat is cycling the sysyem and not the pressuretrol. If the mercury switch was in the open position then the burner would not turn on whatever the thermostat said and there would be no heat.

Won't a correctly operating pressuretrol turn off the burner based on the set pressures while the thermostat is still calling for heat?

Comments

• Frank_65
    Frank_65 Member Posts: 3
    Inoperative pressuretrol

I have a one pipe steam system and it heats the house fairly well. The boiler is a converted coal boiler (Thacher).
    The pressure gauge is not working, hasn't for years and the pressuretrol mercury switch has been rotated so as to always keep the burner on when the thermostat is calling for heat. I imagine the gauge and the pressuretrol are clogged. Their connections via 1/4" pipe are pretty corroded and a half hearted attempt to remove them proved risky.
    My question is would replacing them improve the heating system or are they primarily a safety device? All the vents seem to close correctly but between heating cycles the radiators cool off quickly.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Pressuretrol

I am sure the pressuretrol is some what working , if not you home will be full of steam or lack of heat by now. Yes the piping to the limit needs to be cleaned or replace in time . Blockage in pipe gives false readings to control... Sounds like it needs to be worked on....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

You need to know what pressure you run, high pressure shortens boiler life and is less efficient costing you more to heat and heat unevenly. 1 lb steam is where you should be. My pressure troll was dirty and locked out at 3, I turned off power and used a spray electronics cleaner and then a spray dry lube. I was set at 5lb now im working at 1.5lb. I am getting a new gauge and pressuretrol to go to 1 lb. Get Dans books, I need to read them to.
This discussion has been closed.