Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My fathers toolbox

Perry_5
Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
One thing that always impressed me as a kid was my fathers toolbox. All the wrenches and sockets, funny "waterpump" pliers, and odd shaped but very useful items. All packed into a brown steel toolbox a couple foot long and so heavy... It seemed he could fix almost anything with just the tools in his toolbox. He did have some other larger tools too (pipe wrenches, etc) that did not fit into the tool box, but I understood.

There was also pride in how he cared for his tools - and he taught me so much out of that toolbox.

Of course I wanted one too; and he helped me build my own toolbox starting about when I was 11 - all quality stuff too. Over the years my personal toolbox - which now number several - has exceeded what my father had. Of course, back then he did not have to have two sets of wrenches and sockets (inches, metric). I also have some specialized tools that he never needed due to some of the work I have done.

But still, every time I went home and we would fix something together over the decades it was my fathers toolbox that provided the tools... I would always carry it with pride knowing that my father and I shared an understanding and knowledge of good tools and how to use them.

Today we started the real process of cleaning out my fathers shop in preparations for my parents moving into an elderly housing center in 4 weeks. I went to my parents house (3 hour drive) with the van - and with people hired to help load stuff; to get the bench drill press, the bench bandsaw, and the metal (piping) work bench that my dad had fabricated to his specs about 60 years ago (it has a pipe vise on one end, and a standard vise on the other), and some benches. That is not all of the shop - but the main items I could fit into the van today. I have space waiting for it in my basement as I had to sell my woodworking tools about 15 years ago when I was unemployed.

But, half way through the project today dad pointed down to his toolbox and said; "you can take that too."

So I closed the lid on the toolbox my dad can no longer lift, ensuring all the wrenches and sockets were in place - and carefully carried it to the van.

To say I am honored is an understatement. There is a lot of emotion involved as well - and I won't hide that I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

I have been involved with helping my parents for the last 7 years. I run what is called "The Parents Fund." I will not say that things are always been easy. But sometimes you get a huge reward as well.

Tomorrow I have some people coming over to help unload the van. No one else is going to touch my fathers toolbox. I am sure I will use the tools in it for years yet - and hope that I can find someone worth to pass it onto.

Perry

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

My father was a union iron worker out of Oakland, CA. Structural reinforcing. He gave me his rebar cutter / bender and his wire feeder and hard hat when he retired, because he wanted nothing to do with any of it any further. He got on my case more times than I could ever count for leaving his tools out or using all the oxygen in his bottle cutting up old bikes and not telling him. To this day, I am hopelessly bad about tossing tools back into my bag vs. into the tool box or truck. I lose many pliers and screwdrivers as a result.

Nice story, Perry...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
    Great story

Perry, thanks. I still treasure both my dad's and many of my grandfathers hand tools. And a few power tools. The custom made tools intrigue me most.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Pinball
    Pinball Member Posts: 249
    Perry, Cherish those tools forever!

First of all I want to thank you for writing that! As I was reading it I pictured myself as a young boy, in my dad's garage and van. You see, my dad was a service tech. as well.
    one of the best our area ever new. He could fix ANYTHING! And I, as a child was always fascinated by that. When I finally got old enough, I went to work for the same company he did. (an oil co. service dept.) Fifteen short years later dad past away. I then moved back into the house he built. Complete with all the tools he collected, used and cared for over the 76 years on this planet. I still use those same tools he did. And whenever I am on a service call that starts to stump me, I pick up one of "his" tools, quietly look upwards and ask him for help. I have even gone so far as, when a customer thanks me for fixing the problem. Tell them to thank my dad! For it was he, who gave me not only the Mindset and skills to fix things , but also the tools in my hands to make it possible.

You see Perry, The greatest "tool" your father gave you is not in that "brown toolbox". It is in your heart and soul and will be with you for as long as you live. Be sure to thank him NOW while He is still with you. Not only for the tools in the box, But also the tools in your heart.

Al (proud to be a Junior)
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    tools

You can always tell a man knowledge on what he has for tools.I went to a customer home last week on a no heat call.

She had alot of knowledge about her system and I asked her if she had someone in the family that was in the trade.

She replys my father was in the business and I was his little helper most of time.She goes on to tell me he has pass and she still has all his tools and stuff in the garage.So me being a tool freak I had to ask for a tour of the garage.

The guy had every tool one would need to work on a refrigeration system x 2.There were jugs of r11,r12,r500 so on and so on.

I'm like you know their is a market for some of this stuff still.She says I know, I just hate to let it go.It bring back memory of dad everytime I see it.

What a great call that was.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    I'm proud to still have

A lot of Dad's tools..all of the lead working tools, drills, a mid-50's Craftman socket set, etc. My brother has Dad's mid-50's era Sawzall, the original box, label, instructions. He learned the trade(s) in Granddad's biz in Fla.,moved to Va. just before WW II, had his biz for 40 years. Only other thing of his I wish I had was one of his old Studebaker pickups
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    tears in your eyes?

mine too

thanks for the story
  • Todd_40
    Todd_40 Member Posts: 1

I think it's about time that I start my son a tool box.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Many memories

I too had a father who could fix everything. I still remember the first time I took apart the home oil burner - all by myself. I was 12. My mother freaked out! "WAIT till your father get's home", I recall her saying. When he arrived late that evening the burner was back together and purring like a satisfied kitten. He smiled and rubbed my head as we walked down the basement to inspect my handiwork. Together we "corrected the setup" as he explained how important it was to "do it right". I could tell by the twinkle in his eye he was more than a little amused by my "mechanical expertise". In 1968 I became the youngest certified OBT in Ontario. He was so proud. When he retired I was given his tool box too. When he fell ill and needed help to simplify his life, I was there. He gave me his trusty old Rigid 300 which he had cut his initials into with a grinder. Many times salesmen and other trades people ask my why I don't get rid of "that old thing. I proudly show them his initials and place my hand on "the old thing".
    He never tackled the large commercial work I chose to do but, when I need inspiration .... I can still reach out and "touch" him.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Boiler Guy hold on to that 300 I still use my Da's and it is always a pleasure. I actually always feel best after threading iron, it is my favorite thing to do in this trade. Others decry the oil and the steel slivers and what hard work it is running iron, would run brass for domestic waterlines if people could afford it. When done well threaded jobs show the skill of the installer in ways pex and pre made manifolds never can. Perry thanks for the post, I liked this one better.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    No fear of that

ever happening. When I get too frail to drag it around I may just get it painted in bright funky colors and set it up in the corner of the living room as a plant stand. Thanks
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Cherish

That bond Perry,sounds like this is not an easy time for you. Excellent story. Thanks for sharing it.....Tears!

Gordy
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    This is pretty cool, Perry, sounds like a hard time right now

but also sounds like there are many fond memories. I too remember always digging in my dads tool box, he was a tool maker for boeing, he still is hanging in there. He was very handy, would rebuild the VW bug engine in his commuter car, actually gave it to me on my 16th, I did not treat it very well, "regret that". It is amazing how many things you can look back on and see you really did not appreciate it then, but now I see how much he really taught me. Thanks Dad, Tim
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    I remember

Dad had lots of tools. Some were beautiful snap-on's. Some were cow tools, you know, the ones you through away because they're pieces of garbage, but somehow always seem to find their way home.

When my folks moved to FL in '82, I kept some of the tools. Every few years Dad would call and ask about a certain tool and if I had because he couldn't find it. I'd say, "Dad, it's been 15 years. But yeah, I've got it".

Thanks for the memories Perry.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    touching

and I relate totally.

On a lighter note, why not think about a Perry Jr.? To leave your legacy, and your treasured tools to?

Please take no offense to that last statement. I am raising two boys- 5 and 6, and am seeing so much of myself in them. Ryan especially, has this natural mechanical ability that gives me an ear to ear grin when I see his huge hands twisting a screwdriver, "fixing" his toy trucks.

Bobby has to be the engineer type. I've never seen Lego's built in the forms he comes up with:).
This discussion has been closed.