Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what would it hurt to be nice

jim s_2
jim s_2 Member Posts: 114
but the poster took offense at not being told what he wanted to hear and acted like a spoiled brat.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Brad's replies are never rude, and the comedy tends to lighten the fact that no desired info will or should be given. He (OP) was actually the first to be rude. Funny thing is he actually got his question answered through the disagreements of everyone else...As for being nice, I think everyone (especially myself) could be nicer in one way or another...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Cruel to be kind

Brad was nice and got a "Slap in the Face" so he did the same i would have by NOT holding or offering the other cheek.
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    Hey, I was nice.

He'd have asked that over at Mike Holt (electrical site), he'd have gotten nothin' but shown the cyber door. They don't go for DIY'ers over there at all.

I think the things he asked about the LB's ,the EMT, and where to put the switches, and how to seal the hole, after presenting himself as being knowlegable by mentioning circuit sizing and layout, gave the impression that he was trying to schmooze the fellas down at the boiler room.

I think he tried to pass himself off as knowledgable when he clearly was not, and then he got his tail all in a knot when someone called him on it. But the "fella" who called him on it did it nicely.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    All I did was...

Refer him to Mike Holt's site. and yes, the reception there would probably have been cold. The NEC is the most complex of any code, except NFPA...most electricians take their craft very seriously, since it can be very fatal. I've had the privelege to correct many DIY "projects" involving almost any trade you can name, and have seen some that would make most pro's look rough too..... The reception of people looking for advice/info to install wood fired equipment and trying to maintain or nurse along older oil/gas equipment has been at times icy here too..people in glass houses shouldn't....
    Not a sermon...just a thought!
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Hi David-

Oh, you would not offend me, my friend. I never, ever took your comments as personal nor directed at me.

I appreciate your observation and sensitivity to tone and kindness. But frankly, I think everyone was pretty much as polite as could be.

The fellow who wrote I gathered, more than correctly, was over his head and out of his league, his protestations about my warnings only added to my doubts.

I think all who posted wanted to help and if some took a stronger note, in all candor, that was needed so that the original poster would take a real hard look at his abilities.

We have not heard from him since, so the possibility that he went ahead with his plans anyway, is high.
This discussion has been closed.