Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

problem with Buderus Logano G124 LP boiler

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,799
If the fuel pressures/orifices are correct and the combustion analyer is giving me good readings, and there are no negative pressures in the boiler area, and the boiler is clean, I'd call the local rep and get him over there asap. You have CO detectors?

Oh, if the tubes are warped, yes, you need new ones. It still makes no sense... something is missing here.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=368&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• cmannering_2
    cmannering_2 Member Posts: 11
    problem with Buderus Logano G124 LP boiler

I have a Buderus Logano G124 LP fired boiler, about 8 yrs old. Last year, I discovered that there was quite a bit of soot in and on the burner tubes as well as a flame that would roll out of the flame viewport (this after the spill switch got cooked). The literature says that the unit should be cleaned and we did. The same problem has since occurred several times. LP pressure is correct and pilot tube has been replaced (as well as other components) The vent fan seems to be operating properly. There is no air intake adjustment on the unit. The only item that has not been replaced are the burner tubes, and they (Buderus) want $1,700 for them. Anyone have any ideas on the cause of the problem and whether or not replacing the burner tubes would solve the problem?

Thanks,

David
  • GW
    ok

when you say, 'There is no air intake adjustment on the unit', I wonder, you're the home owner?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DavidB
    DavidB Member Posts: 8

Yes, I'm the homeowner. I guess what i mean is that there is apparently no fuel to air mix adjustment on the boiler. What would cause the boiler to fire too rich a fuel to air ratio?

David
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
    Burners

I have seen this happen a few times. Usually the burners are just clogged with dirt and lint. Have your service company try cleaning with compressed air before replacing. Best of luck! -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DavidB

I have done this several times according to Buderus' protocol (wash and scrub with water) , but they continue to soot up after 400 or so gallons of fuel use. My service tech seems to think that the burner tubes got warped or distorted in some way that is causing the fuel to burn poorly. Is this possible.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
    Questions

Stupid questions - Did your service provider:

1. Check to make sure there is an LP orifice in pilot burner, an LP spring in the gas valve and LP burner orifice.

2. Check manifold pressure (lock-up and operating).

3. Check chimney draft (assuming atmospheric). If it is power vent, the vent assembly has a plate that can be adjusted to control draft through the boiler.

4. Thoroughly clean all accumulated soot in the boiler. This was not an easy task with the G124.

5. Make sure the laser thin slots on the top of the burners were clean and not clogged/corroded.

Good Luck! - DF

• GW
    house

I have yet to see these SS burners fail.

is this a tall home, 2 1/2 story? Old?? Leaky??

Your tech... does he have real tools? He is the one that converted it to LP? It seems to me your system is very unsafe. Did your tech use a combustion analyzer? This is no joke

This is an induced draft unit?

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DavidB

Home is 2 stories. Not old and leaky, fairly tight house. There is a power vent to induce the draft. It was converted to LP. The appliance worked without problems or fail for 7+/- years.
  • GW
    ok

is the vent termination all yucky outside? You're sure the block isn't plugged? you're sure it's running safe? Do the fumes have a potent odor? Something is very wrong.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DavidB

Replies to Questions:

1. Unit was converted when installed 8 years ago.

2. Tech claims all within spec.

3. Again, tech claims within spec.

4. Has been thorougly cleaned with hepa vac.

5. Laser cut burners have been cleaned with ss. brush.

I have recently seen some soot out in the snow by the vent termination as well as some soot above the boiler on components hung from joists.

Do I need another tech? I have great confidence in him but . . .

Thanks,

David

• DavidB

SS termination has thin layer of soot on interior of pipe. It has been removed and checked. Impeller spins freely, and exhaust is being vented from building. The fumes do not have a potent odor.
  • GW
    tech

does he use an electronic combustion analyzer or not? If not, get some one else. call the rep and have him give you a couple of names.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DavidB

Yes, I have digital CO detectors and they read 0 ppm. How would you know if burner tubes are warped?
  • DavidB

I'm not sure what kind of analyzer it is. Since we know the combustion is poor though, how do you adjust the mixture? Gas pressure, power vent adjustment?
  • GW
    ok

That's a little too technical; would need to be there and have my own fingers on it. If your tech doesn't know... you need a new tech.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    G124

If the G124 series boiler gets plugged, the proper procedure is to remove the burner tray and "wet" clean the boiler block. Just vacuuming will not clean the boiler completely resulting in the boiler plugging right back up. The burner tray also has to be throughly cleaned. How many times has the boiler been serviced in the last 8 years? Should be serviced at least every other year if not annually. Has there been any home improvements recently? Sheetrock dust is very fine and gets "sucked" into an atmospheric boiler very easily. Combustion air should also be looked at, especially if there where improvements to the envelope of the structure. It is suggested to have your service technician contact our technical support department at 1-800-283-3787 to review the suggested cleaning procedure and set up information on the boiler.
  • DavidB
    Cleaning Procedures

Tech support from Buderus has been contacted and cleaning procedures have been followed (wet clean with Fantastic) etc. but the problem is recurring. I would be disappointed if I wind up having to replace a boiler that is only 8 yrs. old.
  • marko_2
    marko_2 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone get him a combustion test

You need to get a combustion analysis done. Period. Nothing else to look at until you have this done and in writing . Do it NOW!
  • GW
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Steven Eayrs
    Steven Eayrs Member Posts: 33
    remodels lately??

You say it ran great for 7+ years and now lots of problems? Hows the combustion air into the boiler room or area. Have you changed anything, added doors, closed off areas, added mechanical ventilation? Any changes or remodel at all in the last year?
This discussion has been closed.