Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Commercial Steam Control Valve Replacement

Jason_19
Jason_19 Member Posts: 17
27 yrs old with plumbing company 9 months in NYC and am looked at as the MVP within our heating aspect of business, no question i have a lot to learn everyday we make new advances together improving what we take pride in and there will always be something new out there for us to learn and for most a lot to catch up on. either way is a learning experience and its great to have a source like this where true knowledge is spread giving any good post a moment to make us think. my situation is that our 27 story building is all steam, lobby (1st floor hydronic via exchanger)is not "controlled". my company installed a motorized valved supplying the exchanger few years ago way before i joined the team. in a different subject i built a condensate cooler system inderectly recieving btu's from the condensate to boost domestic input to the buildings water heaters. this was a nice job and it natually lead me to feeling everything in the system out and seeing all imperfections. what im not so much stuck on but seek wisdom and experience in is my control valve feeding my exchanger. 2" 2 way low volt honeywell valve on a 3" main that dont hold. when satisfied and closed steam will still pass through raising the hydronic temp well beyond safe limits if left without manual adjustments. im not familiar with this control its my first incounter and have no paper work to read on. my knowledge is really limited as to if it ever worked properly or if it is even rated for steam so instead of troubleshooting it where i could take time into something i cant promise vr's replacing it with a more promising and reliable control i went with replacement hands down. my new control is ordered yet i wish to hear all feedback before i say what was ordered and how, id like to hear first what you would have done and if necessary ordered or any sort of comments/input to this post. thank you for your time!!

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    modulating valve

sounds like a honeywell or equal modulating valve should solve the problem. piped properly ,of course.
  • Jason_19
    Jason_19 Member Posts: 17

Yes its a Honeywell modulating valve and its not functioning properly possibly due to improper installiation or malfunction. My point is im replacing it, clean slate with something i can guarentee. im seeking advice in my best option. steam pressure runs 10 psi and was informed any steam rated solenoid valve needs at least 10 psi to function properly. seeming my only option is a modulating valve, so which to go with. i trust my expert i ordered from and am confident in the replacement installation. guess i am just looking to hear what vavle others would have went with or other input on this topic from experiences good or bad that i would value and learn from as well as other readers.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    2 cents

It sure would be nice if you had access to some air pressure. You can have your " modulation " and enough force to stroke through a reasonable ammount of dirt that will be in the system.

If your stuck using electricity try an actuator with a 120 volt power supply and whatever proportional options they might offer with these ( 135 ohm , 0-10 vdc etc ). Belimo is my favorite actuator for any damper or valve ( electronic ).

https://www.belimo.us/belimoshop/index.jsp?shopId=BELIMO

edit : And I'll bet they will have a complete valve solution for you as well. They have always been helpful in my dealings with them.
This discussion has been closed.