Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help diagnosing 2 pipe steam

Ken Field
Ken Field Member Posts: 123
I looked at asystem today and need some validation before I cut open wall or ceiling. It is a 2 pipe steam system with a1 year old WM gas boiler. I can post pics of near-boiler piping but it looks pretty good to me. The quandry comes with the returns and vents. There are no radiator traps and I do not believe the system is a vapor system by looking at the rad valves although I did not disassemble and look for an orifice. The end of the mains are concealed above a plywood ceiling and behind a wall. I suspectthat there is a F&T trap in there. There is a large Sarco air vent in the boiler room and both returns are tied together and fed to the vent. The radiators have air vents on them and my suspicion is that they were Added after something else failed. Like maybe the traps. Not all radiators have vents. That is suspicious too. The house does heat fairly well but I suspect that efficiency may suffer if some co
Pone ts don't work right. I would like some input and help to resolve this for my customer. If one of you would prefer to consult by phone, that would be helpful as I'd like to button this up during cold weather.

Ken

Comments

This discussion has been closed.