Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler 'clicking' won't fire up

Options
HI. I have a Weil McClain boiler, series 12, small boiler for forced hot water system. I replaced air scoop and expansion tank because they were rusting out. Now when I try to turn it back on it makes several clicking noises, fires up the burner for about two seconds, and then shuts down. Pilot stays lit just fine. Could this be a bad gas valve?
Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Chances are It could be anything...

Most likely the pilot needs to be cleaned, but call a pro to get it done correctly the first time. That would be the first step and like any problem, you may have issues with either the ignition module or flame rod.

Mike T.
  • Darrell_7
    Darrell_7 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Flame proving

The flame is not proving. Your proving circuit is dirty or broken. Series 12...sounds like a CG with spark ignition. The flame rods commonly break off in the ceramic holder and the wire to it very commonly burns off. If the insulation package is damaged then the control which is mounted to the sheetmetal cover often overheats and even melts. The gas valve is likely fine...and the service tech that goes for it first has missed/skipped a bunch of troubleshooting tricks. The arrangement of the pilot assembly with the proving rod and igntor is a meak link in the CG and other WMC boilers...they continue to use it.
This discussion has been closed.