Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping

Kool Rod
Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
From what you have said about the bathroom, low water, and cold first floor, it sounds as though the system is generating very wet steam. The constant water`addition could be a problem as "new" oxygenated water can be very corrosive to the system and constant addition of water may flood the boiler especially with an automatic water feeder.

Check the bathroom radiator and make sure it is pitched (sloped) towards the intake pipe so that the condensate (water) drains properly. Also make sure the inlet valve is fully opened. (If you have Dan's book I'm sure you have already done this. I just wanted to go over the basics again.)

The wet return could be clogged if it hasn't been cleaned lately, however, I think I'd address the wet steam issue first and see if that corrects the problem.

- Rod

Comments

• Jian
    Jian Member Posts: 12

I was looking at my sister-in-law near boiler piping. Not sure if this piping is OK. She has a Weil McLain gas 1 pipe steam boiler. The boiler riser with a 3" pipe goes straight up to a reducer tee. From there, a 2" header is connected but not sloped. And the other end of the tee goes to a 2" main pipe.

My question is, do you need to elbow the boiler riser first and then connect the main pipe from the header or the current configuration is OK?
  • pictures

Pictures will help us help you...
  • Jian

I know but no pics for now.

It looks like this pic but instead of at the end of the header, it's at the beginning of the header.

http://www.comfort-calc.net/Steam Piping/Tee_End_Header_Red_X.JPG
  • Kool Rod

Jian - The near boiler piping sounds pretty "screwy" - No slope, smaller header than riser, bullheaded tee, etc. etc. How well is it operating and what problems is it having?

One of the first things I would do is check the manufacturer's installation manual and see how well the installation instructions were followed. Here's site that may have it:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/professionals/services/productliterature.html

You really need to get Dan's book,"The Lost Art of Steam Heating" as it discusses the ins and outs of near boiler piping. It's not a boring tech manual and is written so a homeowner can understand it. Easy reading and crammed full of facts about steam heating.

As mentioned, pictures of all the near`boiler piping would help a lot.

- Rod
  • Kool Rod

Have no idea why the above defaulted to Frank L
  • Jian

I have Dan's book and my brother-in-law is reading it. The problems they are having from what I've gather are:

1) the bathroom radiator is clunking every other second and leaking water from the bushing. The leak can be fix but it shouldn't be leaking water. It's a steam system.

2) first floor is colder than the second floor. Probably need larger air vents

3) the water in the glass gauge drop very low and sometimes the water feeder kicks in. the water will return eventually. can the return be clogged?
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Neither Do I!

I've had this happen to me before, where I'll log in or reply and it defaults to some other name and email address. I'm hoping this will be a glitch of the past after the board upgrade.
  • Kool Rod

Frank - Sorry about that! Now seems to be working okay. Gremlins? :)

• Thanks Rod.

I will check it out this sunday. I told my brother-in-law I would help him skim the boiler.

This discussion has been closed.