Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler sizing

Options
K HAYNES
K HAYNES Member Posts: 10
i would go with the four section and slightly downfire if possible. rather than max out a three section. if you needed a little more btu in the future such as an addition etc then you would have the boiler to do it. the four section would probably be more efficient anyway

Comments

• gary_32
    gary_32 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    heat loss

Ive got a house that 3400sqft. with a heat loss of 103,000 btu's, there is also a below grade finished basement that about 400 sqft. plus a 40 gallon boilermate. my present boiler is a new yorker steel that is 113,900 net btus. Ive got quote on a replacement for a peerless 3 section with up to 112,000 net btus, and a peerless 4 section with up to 155,000 net btus. Which would be the better boiler for my house with the least amount of oil consumption?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    You will size it for the largest load....

......which could be your hot water needs. The 3 sec should be fine for the normal family. The recovery rate for the water tank , figure 20 min from a cold start with a 1" supply. If you need the tank to recover a little faster. Say you have three daughers that take a shower one after the other I would go for the larger out put. Proper pipe sizing to the indirect is a factor too. If it's only a 3/4"boiler supply you only will use about 50K btus from the boiler anyway. 1" you will use the whole 150k.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options
    boiler size

Which Peerless? I=B=R net output or gross output?

You should be able to downfire about 20-25%, see mfg's min and max firing rates for particular model. How's hot water supply w/ the current boiler? How's heat now when at or below design day low temperatures?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I'd

do the three section. 95% of the time it will be oversized for the home's heat loss, and piped right, and on priority, the Amtrol will be fine, if it was already w/ the old boiler. Heck, those things usually are piped in 3/4 and they seem to make folks happy.

I assume the house is zoned? The chances of all zones calling all at the same time and the calls all are the same duration are not likely. Again, the three section will then be oversized.

The three will give you longer run times, and a full fire in the firebox, both lead to better efficiency.
This discussion has been closed.