Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper fittings on steam boilers.

Options
says outright never to use copper on steam piping in their I&O manuals. Burnham recommends against it. I've seen similar prohibitions in other manufacturers' manuals but those are the two I could find quickly.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bob B_3
    Bob B_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Copper ftgs Steam Boilers

I have a licensed plumbing contractor installing replace- ment residential steam boilers for 25 years using copper fittings. Jobs are inspected by NJ Plumbing Inspectors, and passing. No one has ever said "you need to take out the copper and put in black steel pipe", until a New York boiler company rep has told the homeowner thats what they should do. They do not say this in their installation instructions beacuse they say it is an industry standard. So now, I have a customer who feels his preferred Boiler line company has thrown him under the bus.... any comments ??
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    copper pipe

why not do a search here for "copper pipe", and you will see the current thoughts on that subject, in regard to thermal deformation.

i am a building owner and manager, and we had a 800,000 american standard steam boiler with 4 in. copper headers, which lasted for 35 years. however i always had little weeps with the joints, and had to wire-brush the calcium deposits off every year before the the annual boiler inspection.--nbc
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    COPPER ON BOILERS

BOB, are you BOB B. from Somerset?
    The dyed in the wool, old timer, purists will decry the use of copper on steam boilers until eternity. On residential jobs, We have been using "M" copper with pressure fittings and 95/5 solder (now replaced by silver bearing unleaded solder) with very good results and few if any leaks. Now with the advent of PRO-PRESS fitting with the high temperature "O" rings, we have not had a leak yet. The PRO-PRESS fittings allow for expansion and contraction. The labor saved makes a good job affordable to the most frugal of customers. We are very satisfied and will contiue to use copper.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    The Ideas of Anodes and Such

Do not enter into the equitions those who value expediency over excellence.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Well, if

you won't listen to "purists", then check your boiler I&O manuals. You do read the manuals, don't you? I bet you find they either "don't recommend" copper for steam piping or flat-out tell you not to use it.

What do you think will happen if there's a possible warranty situation and they see that copper steam piping? We've had several boiler manufacturer's reps tell us if they see copper steam piping, or anything else that goes against their instructions, there's NO WARRANTY!

Then the customer gets all lawyered up.......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Which

boiler manufacturers specifically state copper can not be used on a steam system ?
  • So

what happens if you're installing a Dunkirk and hypothetically , all the returns were replaced with copper pipe ? Or someone moved a rad and used copper for the runout ? What about using a copper coil ?

These situations we come across on almost every steamer replacement . I know of the theories why copper might be a bad choice for steam . But I have not to this day seen conclusive evidence that a boiler died prematurely because of the use . With copper , without copper .......... most of the steamers we replace last just about the same time frame . Or more often the case - they're still chugging along when we replace them as an upgrade .
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    They only say that

when referring to pipes that carry steam. Wet returns are apparently OK to them.

Not sure how the copper runout or coil you mention would shake out. I'm just going by what I've read.

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    is it really less expensive?

when you calculate all the costs [especially when copper was worth a lot], is it really any more expensive to pipe it up the right way, with iron pipe?--nbc
  • Boston Standard_2
    Boston Standard_2 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Threaded Enemy?

If a customer won't pay for good service, it doesn't mean you should adjust your quality to match their desires. Everything I've ever read or learned indicated that copper should never be used-
    Unless you want to fill your scrap bucket!

Otherwise, embrace the threading equipment and do it right. It will pay dividends over time.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.