Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Danfoss TRV Air vent option

JeffR
JeffR Member Posts: 5
THanks for the reply. I goofed when ordering. I thought PEX sold the item as a complete assy. I have to order the control and vent seperate. They dont carry the Danfoss air vent part # and at the time I did not know that was a regular radiator air vent. Thanks to the help on the board, I am much more wise.

Comments

• JeffR
    Yet more TRV question

I purchased a Danfoss RA2000 TRV, do I need to get the air vent also to make it work properly. Or are the thermostatic valve and controls enough. PexSupply does not carry the air vent.

Bought "We Got Steam Heat" love it. Thanks
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    You need a straight vent

not an angle vent. PexSupply does have them. You can get a straight Varivalve or a straight Gorton.
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    what you need

You need 1 Pipe Steam Valve, Thermostatic Operator, and a straight vent to make it work.

Check the library under Thermostatic Radiator Valves.

bb
  • JeffR

Thanks, one more question, what vent rating should I get? Same as I would without the temp control?

Thanks again

• Hi Jeff - Edit: Sorry I read you message wrong and thought you had the wrong part and had gotten a regular RA2000 by mistake and needed the RA2000 1PS for 1 pipe steam. Yes, You need to get an air vent or use your regular one if it is straight.

Here's the Danfoss data sheet on that model:

http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/RA2000 1PS-DS.pdf

• David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624

The same speed should be ok. You might consider an adjustable so you can slow it down a bit if the room temp is overshooting.
  • JeffR
    Defective TRV?

Installed 2 trv assy's with varivalve vent. One works very well. Awsome, acutally. The other will let the radiator heat and modulate the temp. But the rub is that it only works for one heating cycle.

When I take the ****'y off a few drops of water fall out of the vent. I re-slope the radiator to 1/3 bubble on a torpedo. I re-install and get the one cycle heat. I took it off that radiator to another and get the same. I switched the vent and still get the same.

Seems that enough condensate gets into the during the heating cycle and does not drain causing a water plug.

The angled varivalve alone work great and I never see steam from the varivalve even wide open at full heat.

Has anyone seen this before?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Do you have a Danfoss

one pipe steam TRV? If so , the vacuum breaker might not be working properly.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JeffR

Its a Danfoss. I have not had the vent on that radiator spit or noticed water before. I reluctant to take the ohter working one off another radiator since its working so well.

Is the breaker rebuildable through the bolt on the underside?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    You Could Try

to remove the TRV from the radiator, close the valve by turning the actuator to off (or to "snowflake") and rapidly alternate between sucking and blowing into the threaded end. That may set that tiny ball in the check valve into place. You should be only able to draw air thru the check.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.