Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rerouting steam heating pipes

JP_13
JP_13 Member Posts: 2
Summary: Can I cut steam pipe and somehow put a 90 degree elbow on it (weld/solder) even though there will be no threads - because it's a cut pipe.

Here's my situation:
I'm renovating a second floor room that has a steam heat (radiator) in it. The supply pipe is coming straight up (vertical) from the basement. I want to move the radiator 6 feet - the subfloor is up and I have good access. I would like to cut the portion of the heating pipe below floor level to get rid of the vertical portion that sticks up above the floor level (with the on/off turn knob on it). Then I want to put a 90 degree on it, and reroute it (under the floor) to my new location 6 feet away. I know steam pipes are threaded, but I don't have access to the last place it was threaded - can I cut the pipe and still somehow put the 90 degree elbow on it so I can route it? Thank you!

Comments

• The pipe can be cut and threaded in place if you have good access. I would get a professional to do it for you. Any thing else is rather "Mickey Mouse" and will cause future problems.

You have to be very careful when moving radiators I'm assuming that you have a 1 pipe steam system therefore you just can't route the pipe 90 degrees to the new location. The pipe MUST have "fall" (slope) to it so that the condensate (water) in your radiator will properly drain back into the system. Generally the more slope the better, otherwise you will get severe water hammer and it is possible that the radiator won't heat at all.

• The pipe can be cut and threaded in place if you have good access. I would get a professional to do it for you. Any thing else is rather "Mickey Mouse" and will cause future problems.

You have to be Very Careful when moving radiators to maintain steam design parameters otherwise you will have a lot of problems with that radiator. I'm assuming that you have a 1 pipe steam system therefore you just can't route the pipe 90 degrees to the new location. The pipe MUST have "fall" (slope) to it so that the condensate (water)in your radiator will properly drain back into the system. Generally the more slope the better, otherwise you will get severe water hammer and it is possible that the radiator won't heat at all.

From your questions I would gather that you haven't had much experience with steam systems. I would suggest that you get Dan's books on steam heating. (see "A Steamy Deal" at the bottom of this page.) Start with "We Got Steam Heat". The books are written for the homeowner and are interesting, easy reading and in a evening or two you'll understand your steam system and how it works. You'll the then have the knowledge to do a lot of the maintenance yourself or/and know enough to be able to qualify whether the heating guy that you call, knows enough about steam to work on your system.

Edit: Also make sure your radiator, when it is moved to the new position, slopes towards the steam pipe so that the condensate (water) in the radiator will drain back into the pipe. Use a bubble level on the radiator as houses sometimes have settled and the floors aren't level. Shim up the legs to get the necessary slope.

- Rod
  • Shawn_17
    Shawn_17 Member Posts: 1

I would like to know if I can put threaded elbows on a steam line that has around 125 psi. Also if I can put regular teflon tape on the threads?
This discussion has been closed.