Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how can i fix a cracked free standing radiator myself

Lucy-
If you have a problem fixing a vertical crack.(In the case where the JB Weld flows out of the crack just after you have applied it) You can use plastic tape to hold the putty in place till it sets. Tape both sides of the crack as mentioned above, fill the crack and immediately tape over it. It's also a good idea to have a single edged razor blade or two which you can use to shave the putty off flush with the cast iron.
You must shave it when it gets to a "rubbery" state right after it sets up but before it gets too hard.

Comments

• Lucy
    Lucy Member Posts: 3
    free standing radiators

My free standing radiators are cracked and I do not have the money right now to have them professionally fixed.I am a proud do it yourselfer so would like to know if I can fix them myself and how
    Thank You
    Lucy
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    fixing radiators

try jb weld get it at a hardware store good luck
  • martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    JB Weld

I agree with the jb weld fixed apiece of cast iron baseboard for myself that I had sent to weld shop and they couldn'd get the crack to stop running when they welded it
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

Lucy what area do you live in ,hot water or steam?
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Yeap JB

Yes JB weld and this is coming from someone that can weld all kinds off materials:SS;Mild;Aluminium;and some cast too..if your budget is low get some JB weld clean the crack or leak area very good try to do this without water on the Crack let it sit for a Hour and fire it up!

I Rigged a 4.3 liter Vortex engine on a inboard boat engine that had froze because a friend did not winterized it with JB after i took a grinder to the Crack to make a V groove ,put JB on it and off we went
    Eventually he did replace the engine but for that summer he was fine..
  • Lucy

thank you
  • Lucy

thank you
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    !

Would you guys attempt this kind of repair on a cast rad that has a crack from freezing?

• Adam - JB Weld is pretty good stuff! Here's the website for JB Weld. It's available at most auto parts stores.

http://www.jbweld.net/products/uses.php

I've seen it used to fix castings defects on high pressure pumps and it's good to 500 degrees. Let it cure for a couple of days before applying heat /pressure. Make sure the crack is clean before applying the paste.

I found the best way to use it is to mask both sides of the crack with clear plastic packing tape (we get this tape in rolls from Staples) Scotch tape will probably work okay too. Mix the putty up and use a popsicle stick (or small plastic throw away putty knife -Home Depot) to force it into the crack. Just before it sets up, pull the tape off. If you mast it off you get a clean job otherwise the putty/ paste has a tendency to get over everything.
This discussion has been closed.