Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Vitoplex 100 LS Steam Boiler

Options
is designed to be operated at 1 Bar (15 psi) and if need be 0.5 Bar (7.5 psi). It seems like it is not rated to be used on our beloved ultra-low pressure steam systems.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Viessmann Vitoplex 100 LS Steam Boiler 91% - 95% Efficiency

Does anyone know why Viessmann does not sell the Vitoplex steam boiler in the US and Canada? This boiler is light years ahead in design and efficiency than anything sold here now. It is a three pass design and according to Viessmann it has "91 % boiler efficiency; when used with an economiser up to 95 %. Those are very impressive numbers and it seems to me that using this boiler and a properly piped steam system that the savings would be dramatic. Take a look at the Viessmann web site below to see this boiler and then click on "brochure". Look at page 2 of the brochure and you will see a boiler room that is cleaner than a hospital kitchen. I am impressed.

http://www.viessmann.com/com/en/products/Medium_boilers/vitoplex_100_ls.html
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Now there are three that I know of

Gasmaster, Hoval and today I've learned Viessmann is making high-efficiency steamers.

That looks like it might be what we would call a small commercial boiler. But I have no clue how to translate those output ratings to BTU/hour.

What say ye, Viessmann? America is the biggest market in the world for steam boilers. I doubt we'd have much trouble selling high-efficiency steamers. Why can't we buy this boiler here?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Seems to me

that falls within ASME's "low pressure" category.... 0-15 PSI.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    If my research is correct, that would be appx 1,070,000

1 t/h is a metric ton and if this is a rating in lng then that equals 48700 cf natural gas x 2.2 x appx 1000/cf= appx 1,070,000. Is this correct, Brad, anyone?? Tim
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    T/H

T/H looks to be "metric tonne per hour" and a metric tonne is 1000kg. A kg is approx. 2.2 lbs., so 2.2 T/H works out to be 4840 lbs/hr (of steam) or 4.7 million BTU/H?

• Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Metric Conversion

1 Bar is equivalent to 14.50377 p.s.i.
    .5 Bar is equivalent to 7.25188 p.s.i.
    1 Bar is equivalent to 100 kilopascal
    If Viessmann put a p.s.i./kilopascal gauge on this boiler and the ability to operate at 1 p.s.i. and less I could see a market without any real competitors.
  • mr_4
    mr_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I briefly looked at the site and could be wrong but I did not see anywhere that viessmann said that this model could be asme built/nb registered. It implied it meets sec IV. My apologies to viessmann if I'm incorrect
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Gordo, the only reference in natural gas conversion factors I

could find was a metric ton of lng which is what equals what I show in above reply?? Not sure although. Tim
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Efficiency

The efficiency that is in the literature is not AFUE nor a N.A. standard. These boilers have the same efficiency as other N.A. steam boilers. Many of the European gas appliances that we tested and were quoted 91 to 95% efficiency were in fact between 80 and 83% efficient.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    The Europeans

discount the latent heat of vaporization,that's how they have condensing boilers that are 105%!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    You very well could be right

I figured the rating was in weight units of steam per hour.

This discussion has been closed.