Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pilot light won't stay lit

Options
Rich L.
Rich L. Member Posts: 414
I'd try the local home center for this if you want to do it yourself. Make a few phone calls and see. Otherwise I'm with hvacfreak. You really don't want to bypass this safety.

Note: if the thermocouple is not "seeing" a flame if will not allow the main gas valve to open. That's likely why you can't manually light the main burner. Don't even try. Get the right part or call in a pro. I'd hate to read about your untimely demise in tomorrow's paper.

Comments

• Morgan_2
    Morgan_2 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    pilot light won't stay lit

I have a circulating water baseboard heating system with a Dunkirk boiler. Just today the heat stopped working. The thermostats are fine, the call for heat is present and the water pump works, but the burners won't light. I've discovered the pilot light is out and when I light it, it will stay lit only while I hold the button in but goes out when I let go. I even tried to keep the pilot light on while I activated the burners, but they would not light.

Any help?

• hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    thermocouple

The pilot flame is proven through the thermocouple ( resistance falls when warm I think ). I just throw a new one on when I come across this and usually works. Next check is safeguard controller.
  • Morgan_2
    Options
    thermocouple

I'll try replacing it. Would it just go out for no apparent reason? Is there a work- around until I get the part? It's going to be cold here tonight.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    man

Do home centers sell these ? Don't attempt to bypass this safety , call a heating contractor and get a good nights sleep.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

Both the orange and blue big box stores around here sell thermocouples.
  • Morgan_2
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for the help. I found a thermocouple at a local (real) hardware store and put it in late last night. Things are working fine now. Thanks again.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options

Good Job Morgan. :)
This discussion has been closed.