Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Big steamer.... Is this a problem

Options
Ron......you are correct. There are 2 tappings on the bottom of the boiler. I will post some pics of this job ,but I'll share some pics of 2 LC-11's I did in a school recently. Tell me what you think.

Comments

• Billy March_2
    Billy March_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Any problems with this steamer??

I'm getting ready to pipe in a Peerless boiler LC 11 steamer into a church. I assembled the sections today and I don't think this will be a problem, but I wanted to run this by the REAL pros. Because of the orientation of the existing piping in regards to the placement of the new boiler, I want to build my header from the back of the boiler to the front.

For those not familiar with the LC-11, it has a 4" tapping on the front section, a 3" tapping on the 6 section and another 4" tapping on the rear section. I am looking to start my 6" header using the rear tapping first, then pitching downwards to the two remaining tappings towards the front of the boiler, then my steam supply tee and then my equalizer. Doing it this way will save me alot of work and aggravation because to build it from front to back will require an insane amount of repiping (exiting supply is all 5" welded ).

Soooooooo........ what say yee???????????? Yay or nay????
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem

here's one we did that way, on a much smaller Smith.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Billy March_2
    Options
    Thanks Steamhead

I was hoping you might read my post and send a reply. Thank you for the swift response. I feel alot better knowing that Steamhead ( Mr. Steamhead to me) said it wouldn't be a problem. Thanx again !!!
  • I agree with Frank

No problem pitching the boiler main down from the back to the front . It's been a few years since I installed an LC , but I think you might have to tie in the return from the equalizer in 2 different tappings on the bottom of the boiler . Just something to keep in mind . Take some before and after pics . I'd love to see the progress .
  • Billy March_2
    Options
    you are correct

Ron....maybe its been a while but your memory serves you correctly. There are 2 3" tappings on the bottom of the boiler.

I will take some pics of the progress. Here are a few photos of 2 LC-11's I installed recently in a school. Lemme know what you think !!!
  • Whadda I think ?

I think that is amazing pipework . Really , it is fantastic . What area do you work in ?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    expert fitter

those weld-o-lets are a beautiful thing , bro. you know how to fit pipe damn well.
  • Billy March_2
    Options
    thanks

I do most of my work in the New York tri state area, mostly Brooklyn NY. Thanks for the kind words.............BTW That school job was the first job I have ever done of that magnitude........... I mainly did up to that point just small residential boilers...........usually never bigger than 200-250,000 btu's.
  • Billy March_2
    Options
    Thanks Mr. Steamhead

Thank you Frank.........coming from you ...........That really means alot
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    nice job!!

nice piping! what is the big gate valve for? a lot of us with old systems have these valves, and wonder what they are for? i can't imagine the sexton of the church opening, and closing the valve "just before the surmon"!--nbc

P.S. somehow my name changed to ken on this.
  • Billy March_2
    Options
    service

because there are 2 boilers twinned together, I put isolation valves on each of the boilers for service.
This discussion has been closed.