Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

25 radiators - Venting

Options
if the radiator trap is crossed over between the steam main and dry (overhead) return, it is serving as an air vent from the steam main.

As long as all the vertical drops from the ends of the steam mains drop below the boiler waterline, they do not need F&T traps. The water standing in the drops keeps steam from getting into the returns.

The dry returns receive air and condensate thru traps, so they don't need their own traps.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Joe Jesse_2
    Joe Jesse_2 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    25 radiators - Venting

My two pipe system has 25 radiators with an EDR of 924. The two main lines return to the boiler and run thru what looks like a radiator steam trap, then an air vent and then drop to the floor level and connect to the Hartford loop below the boiler water level. Do I need F & T traps on these two lines?
    The return line from the radiators is seperate and has an air vent before dropping to the floor level and connecting to the Hartford loop below the boiler water level. Is a air vent all I need at the end of this line?
  • Joe Jesse_2
    Options

Thanks a lot I was on the verge of installing F & T traps on ends of the mains. With this many radiators I am planning to install Gorton #2 air vents at the ends of the mains. Does this sound like a good idea?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Sure does

go for it! Make sure those crossover traps are working too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe Jesse_2
    Options

I did replace all the radiator steam traps last year so I should be OK there. One last question please.
    Will the Gorton #2 valves at the end of the mains close when steam hits them? If not how swill the Presuretrol ever shut the burner off?
This discussion has been closed.