Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dear Old Dad

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
Don't let life pass you by.

You don't get a second chance.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Pop

My dear old Dad passed away today. He was 78. He had cancer. I saw him at Christmas, he didn't look so great. He went downhill real fast.

Pop was a plumber, he was in the Marine Corp. and he served in Korea. He received a purple heart. He taught me the plumbing trade. I rode in an oil truck he was driving when I was 2. It must have got in my veins.

He worked for the same builder for almost 30 years. They must have built over a thousand homes. He was tough , but fair. He could yell from sun-up to sunset. He never had a pager or a cell phone. He loved to hunt and fish. He was also a friend of Bill W.

I am not sure of the exact number but he was married to my mother for approx 60 yrs. Yeah, were gonna' miss him.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Your loss is

my loss.
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss

He sounds like a great role model. America needs more role models like that.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Bill...

Our sincere condolences on your loss. He left a legend in you, and for that he and you can be proud. Upward and onward. I'm sure that is what he would have wanted you to do.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Savor the memories

Bill, so sorry for your loss.

To you and your family, I hope that your memories of him, not just the grand things but the little day to day things, help fill any little valleys in your hearts.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    Bill

Sorry for your loss. The little bit that you have shared about your Dad paints a very nice picture. And I'm sure it's just a very small part of who your Dad is. My deepest sympathy to you and yours.

Larry
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Sorry for your loss

I'd love to say how much I know how tough it is. I can't say it, yet (but my parents are on the downhill).

I trust you will find peace and understanding; and know you will miss him.

Perry
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Bill

I lost my Dad about 25 years ago and reading your post brought back alot. I can tell by your words what he meant to you.

The pain of the loss never goes away and it should'nt.

The love you have for him never goes away either and thats a good thing. You are who you are because of him.

Please know that you are in my thoughts.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_11
    Options
    we too

send our condolences. Fortunately, the sadness & pain fade as the memories become stronger. That's a nice thumbnail sketch & tribute you've written. You were indeed fortunate to have had an opportunity to share his life's work and I'd bet he loved having a youngster ride along.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Same age as my Dad.

You done him proud, Bill. Sorry for your loss.
    Retired and loving it.
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    People skills

Thinking back. I remember when my dad had a customer hanging over his shoulder he would hand the guy the tools and said, "here go ahead,if you're so smart, do it yourself"

Or there was the time the guy didn't pay for his boiler. After a year or so (don't recall the details) Pop wrapped a chain around his boiler and dragged it out of the basement and down the street one Saturday afternoon. He never got paid , but the guy didn't get a free boiler.

those were the days before lawyers got so involved.

{ps he didn't disconnect anything, just yanked it out}

He told me "Don't get old , you're not gonna like it". I know his regrets were that he didn't take time to hunt and fish more often when he was younger. Bad knees and a bad hip forced surgery and early , 62 or 63? retirement. He had a helper to do all his "running" and kept working. He couldn't get around in the woods but he had Moose tags in Maine just last year.
  • Jackchips_3
    Jackchips_3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    May your Dad

be at peace and may he share a few stories with my Dad.

I miss him.

Sorry for your loss.

Jack
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    I'm

very sorry to hear of your loss
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Bill, please accept my condolences. You and your family are in my prayers brother.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• troy_8
    troy_8 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Your Pop

Give thanx. It sounds like you were blessed with a great one. Carry on his name.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    Man , I know

Me and my dad built a 426 hemi to the hilt and dropped into a 1967 Coronet ( he was a Mercedes - Benz mechanic for 50 some years ). We got the thing running and we pulled into a field behind his house and " unleashed the fury " ( I have never been that fast before or since ). Some sort of " dry lakes racing ...rooster tail of dirt and such ) I guess. And yeah , the farmer called the cops on us , lol.

That boiler story was great , man we just don't have the nerve of our folks ( at least I don't , lol ). The repo man ...talk about justice , lol.

I still have the car he and I built , and damn I miss him. I know where your at.
  • I am

so very sorry for your loss Bill . Your pop sounded like a good man .
  • Steve Gates_4
    Steve Gates_4 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    memories

Times like these always remind of the song Precious Memories. Happy for the memories sorry for our loss.
  • Nitenumber9
    Nitenumber9 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Bill sorry to hear of the loss of your dad, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options

Don't worry Bill.....plumbers always go to heaven.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I'm so sorry Bill......

...for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Brother.

Starch
  • Sorry about your Dad...

May he rest in peace, sounds like we lost another good man.
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    dad

hey bill........

kathy and i both send our condolences.so sorry for the loss.

mike
  • an old wrench puller
    Options

I'm sorry to hear this Mr. Nye.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
This discussion has been closed.