Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Oil Heat Obituary?

Options
Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
Read this article from Levittown, Pa. Jan. 26th. Phillyburbs.com . Click on News then Courier Times and then Costs Spur Search For Heating Options article. Snake oil or what?

Comments

• Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

This is total b.s.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    It's amazing

what a lack of accurate information can do to perpetuate an argument. The job probably includes an Amish fireplace for those extra cold nights.
  • Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    Options
    $$$

"I had priced out a new oil burner and above ground tank, but that would have been $16,000, and I paid $14,000 for this system."

WOW!! For a Levittown Home? I know we don't talk price here... but what kind of boiler and tank do you suspect he was quoted on?

Mike
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Hmmm... its possible..

First: I quite believe that this person could have been quoted that kind of $$$ for a new underground storage tank and heating system. The article indicates that this person has had a number of tanks leak - which means that you move up to a more exotic tank that will not leak. They cost $$$$$. You just can't keep installing plan carbon steel tanks that leak in a few years.

Second: Electric heat has its place; and depending on how the Utility has things set up it may even be the most economical option.

Back in the early 90's I did all the wiring for an electric heat retrofit on an old farmhouse that used off peak electricity at greatly reduced pricing (part of the deal of my living cheap in the place).

The system had its own meter (on a timer). Its own 200 Amp panel (that the utility locked), and about 1/2 dozen brick filled registers that took hundreds of feet of 8 guage wiring. Each register also had a 120 V thermostat that controlled a blower.

At night the bricks would get heated up, and their was enough thermal mass to heat the house all day - even on the coldest day.

It was a very simple system. The Electric rates were about 1/2 of the normal rates on the other meter.

The Utility donated the cost of running a heavier utility service to the house. That utility converted about 10% of their customer base to offpeak electric heat over a 15 year period. Then they stopped offering it as they had brought up their night loads to an appropriate level (there is a minimum amount you can back off most power plants.... which is why eclectic utilities also push street lighting as it is almost always an off peak load).

I am sure that it was no more expensive to install (and perhaps a lot cheaper) than a new boiler - especially with my "donated" labor on the wiring.

Quite honestly, I did inquire with my local utility if they had an off peak electric power deal for home heating when I was looking at my house. I figured an electric boiler with a huge storage tank would have done the job well. But, no deal.

Perry
  • Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    Options
    off peak hours

I'm calling the electric company tomorrow.

Mother says it never hurts to ask!
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Not an obit,

but an opportunity for a good business man to find another solution to offer their customers. The utility is dropping the rate to 7.5 cents per Kw which is not bad. However, once the rate freezes stop I am sure the rates are going to go up quite a bit.

There are always choices, and it's good to learn about the pros and cons of each.

bb
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Kind of like

those "introductory" interest rates on credit cards, eh?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    93 yr. old freezes to death @ home

How about this one!

Is the utility to blame? Interesting........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090126/ap_on_re_us/frozen_indoors

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Oil

at $3 + per gallon. Natural Gas up 12% over last year.

What are the introductory prices of using fossil fuels?

food for thought.

bb
This discussion has been closed.