Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Interesting NY research study on venting one-pipe steam systems.

Options
Jason_44
Jason_44 Member Posts: 60
Ran across this study while google-ing something steam related.

An interesting read, especially if you're wondering whether venting the snot out of a one-pipe steam system will actually lead to reduced energy costs.

Jason

Comments

• FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Great Suff

Looks like interesting reading. Was skimming the pictures at the end. In my building, we have risers vents exactly as illustrated in figure 4 in Appendix E. The resident in that apt hates their appearance, but we've convinced her that they are important for properly heating the building.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    They ought to re-try that study

using Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek's info. Frank Gerety had the right idea, but until Gerry and Steve did their work, I don't think anyone had accurately measured the throughput of various types of vents at the ounce pressures we encounter in steam systems.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Jason

I can't open that PDF. Could you send it to me directly at
    boilers-r-us@shaw.ca

Thanks
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Check the dates

on the report. It's old and technology has gotten much better since then.

I do agree it would be good to do it again, but also look at other factors as well.

bb
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Balancing Apartments

I'd love to see a new study. Venting can reduce the heat imbalance between aptments, but as the study points out, other factors, such as the heat loss of each individual apt, can account for a heat imbalance, which can exist even when the heating system is not activiated. The goal is to prevent the steam heat from contributing to the imbalance. In my apt, I've reduced overheating by installing smaller vents on my rads, but the result is that my apt is colder after recovery from the morning setback, when compared to the apt with the t-stat sensor, and the imbalance tends to lessen each time the boiler cycles. Although my apt is not "balanced," in that the temp is not in sync with sensor, I am more comfortable. I suppose a TRV is the way to go if I want to try be in sync and achieve a more stable temp in the apt.
This discussion has been closed.