Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CPVC vs O2 answer...

Options
cool. Glycol stinks anyway ;)

Comments

• For those who might want to know,,,

Charlotte pipe says CPVC provides a natural barrier to O2 and infiltration has not been a problem HOWEVER, even though CPVC can handle stuff like 93% sulfuric acid it CANNOT handle glycol in most cases. This leaves me back at copper for my install. Oh well, nice thought while it lasted. ;)

• interesting. there is a guy in the midatlantic region... heck, I think he works for HTP... who claimed some CPVC systems down there got "mushy" because of a lack of oxygen in the system.

I wonder if those systems had glycol in them. I wonder if charlotte pipe knows how well CPVC handles an oxygen starved system long term?
  • I tell you what sucks... ;)

When I was talking to Vic Hines at Charlotte he was giving me the name and number of a chemist that works for the mfg that supplies the material they make the pipe out of so I could talk to him further on oxygen questions. When we got to the part about (if I'm not mistaken) Polypro / no and Ethylene no more than 25% I said, well, that's it for me and threw the note in the trash. This morning was trash day so guess what. Let me see if I can get ahold of him again and follow up on that. I'll be honest though, if pipe is getting mushy I'd be more inclined to believe it was glycol related than oxygen. I do know when we used it with the acids and caustic solutions at that crazy plant I was working at it became brittle after a while, which could very well be oxygen related, like it was oxidizing.
  • More answer,,,

The material mfg (Lubrisol) says while it does stop O2 infiltration much better than PEX it is not 100%, "Nothing is." He went on further to say there is no standard on O2 infiltration so he has nothing to gauge it against. While he has heard of no issues related to use of CPVC in heating systems with ferrous components he would not sign a piece of paper guaranteeing this. I'm waiting for a cut sheet related to glycol to come by email but the gist of it is that you can use both poly and ethyl but at no point in the system can the concentration exceed the specifications. His question being, how certain will you be that during the lifetime of the system it will never exceed specs? Hard to do. I should have the spec info shortly.
  • I'm with you...

anyhow, I have the specs. They recommend glycerine but allow 25% pro and 50% ethyl again with the stipulation that it must never exceed these numbers. I can email you the pdf. Contact me there if you want it.
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    PVC/CPVC/PG/Glycerine

The max % of PG that we recommend in PVC/CPVC is 20%. This gives you a freeze temp of +20 F.
    If you are thinking about using Glycerine in a heating system, DON'T. Just one of the problems is the viscosity.
  • Thank you...

This discussion has been closed.